Chapter 9: Welcome to New Nortia... Again

The group got very little sleep that night. There was a tense silence settled over the camp, the humans gathering by themselves and ostracising the group, including Olive.

Olive sang to try and help everyone sleep, her blissful voice carrying up into the night sky. However, everyone was too shaken to sleep even a wink. It was a unanimous decision to just get on with it, and finish the final stretch of their journey.

"Tough night," Gregory said, mostly towards Olive. He seemed to have some form of attraction to the Satyr, often following her around the camp, and listening attentively to her songs. Sylvia found it almost sweet, especially considering how he had felt about non-humans at the start of their journey.

Over the course of their relatively small journey, Sylvia had seen a once tough and strong willed man adapt into a kind and considerate person, able to understand other people and other creatures. It truly amazed her to see the adaptability of some people, but the stubbornness of others.

"Tough night indeed," Dirella replied, when no one else did. The convoy rode in silence as the early morning sun began to rise.

It took only an hour or two, however finally the tall walls of New Nortia were in sight. The capital of Ammertia, centrepoint for human politics. The walls were at least twenty feet high, with three concentric circles separating the classes within.

As the group neared the walls, they passed through fields. Farmers, already up and toiling hard, only stopped to give them a passing glance. They then returned to their work, harvesting and planting their crops.

Sylvia heard it before she saw it, a loud commotion going on near the entrance to New Nortia. Humans, shouting, yelling, crying. All shoving one another at the entrance trying to get in, but held back by the guards from the inside.

"I've never seen anything like this...." Darian said. Being the only one to live in New Nortia, it was evident there wasn't normally a VIP list to gain access to the city.

"It's because of the war," Olive said, appearing next to them. She gave Porche a pat, smiling sadly up at Sylvia.

"They're being strict with who they let in, meaning refugees are often left out in the cold for days before being allowed in," she continued. Sylvia looked up, at the crowd in front of the entrance. Guards were trying fruitlessly to arrange people into lines so they could better sort through the refugees, however people were desperate.

They had all lost their homes, lost people they loved. They had journeyed for so long, and were desperate for just a taste of safety. Just like the group they were travelling with.

The convoy rode up, amidst the mess. One of the guards looked up, noticing Gregory and his supply, and recognition flashed on his face. He weaved his way through the crowd, pushing where he needed to, to make his way to the group.

"Greg! Took your time," the guard exclaimed. Gregory shrugged.

"Took the scenic route," he said, giving Sylvia a sly smile. Sylvia couldn't help but smile, rolling her eyes in jest. Scenic route indeed.

"Look, we can get you in, but no one else," the guard said. Gregory turned to his guards.

"Well, I guess this is goodbye guys," he said.

"And our payment?" Dirella piped up, hands on her hips. It was, after all, her idea to accept the contract. She would never hear the end of it if the group didn't even get paid.

"Ah right! Darian, you said you live here right? Write down your address for me," Gregory said, clearly intimidated by the wizard. He handed Darian a pencil and paper, who quickly scribbled down his address and handed it back.