Chapter 5: Dreams and Nightmares

Loud footsteps echoed in the night as I walked slowly through the cobblestone street. The lanterns cast an eery light that shone through the smoggy haze, small beacons of hope against the all consuming darkness. I walk slowly, unsure of where I am or where I am going.

Suddenly, a scream pierces the silence, shattering and reverberating in my soul. On edge, I try to follow the screaming. High pitched, bouncing off all of the closely packed buildings around me. Then, out of nowhere, a woman is thrown violently against a wall in front of me.

Her body slams against the brickwork, and I hear an audible crack. However, she is still alive, trying to gather herself and stand up to run. But she's too weak, she stands no chance.

A black figure flashes before my eyes, rushing towards the woman. The figure grabs her by the throat, and she gasps her air. Her eyes wide with fright, he raises her up, pinning her to the wall she was just flung into.

I try to run, to help her, but I'm stuck. Looking down, there's nothing wrong with my feet, yet still they persist and will not move. I stare helpless, as the woman struggles feebly against the figure.

"Hey!" I yell out, a last ditch effort to save the woman. The figure looks up, red eyes glowing in the darkness against pale white skin. The vampire grins, baring his fangs at me. Turning his attention back to his victim, he hisses as he sinks his fangs deep into her neck.

The woman continues her struggles, thrashing and beating frantically at his chest. However her movement soon becomes slow, lethargic. Soon, she is still. The life force being sucked out of her completely. And I couldn't save her.

Soon, a chorus of screams echo throughout the city. Men, women, even children. Screams rising into the night air, setting my skin on edge and clawing at my mind.

You cannot save them, Sylvia.

A familiar voice whispers in my mind. It is deep, rugged, edged with malice. I turn around, slowly, knowing who is behind me.

It's Anthony.

Gazing up at his face, my heart thudding in my chest. He looks nothing like someone I know, however shows the memory of someone I used to hold dear. But not now, not anymore.

"I'm going to save you," I declared, as strongly as I willed myself to be. I refused to back down, refused to shrink down when standing in front of him. Anthony chuckled, a harsh sound that cut above the persistent screams.

You can't even save yourself.

His voice, even though his lips never parted, shot sharply through my mind. As we looked at one another, I felt the same range of emotions I had felt, every day since finding out he was alive.

Anger.

Sadness.

Guilt.

Regret.

Anthony placed one hand on each of my shoulders, and for a moment I almost thought he would bring me in for a warm embrace. However, when his grip tightened, claws digging into my flesh and producing small trickles of blood, I knew how this would end. I grimaced at the pain, as his nail dug in harder.

Baring his fangs once more, Anthony lunged at me.

Sylvia awoke with a start, sitting bolt upright in her swag and almost hitting her head on the roof

Sylvia awoke with a start, sitting bolt upright in her swag and almost hitting her head on the roof. Her chest was heaving, sweat beads trickling down the side of her face.

She had been having this dream on and off for the past week, ever since they had returned from the vampire hoard castle. Each dream varied slightly, but all carried similar themes. Every time, she could not save everyone. Every time, she saw her brother. And every time, she died because she refused to attack him.

She sighed heavily, turning around and landing a swift punch to her pillow. Knowing she wouldn't be able to get back to sleep, Sylvia decided she may as well get up. Stepping out of the swag, she was greeted to warm sunshine, gently kissing her skin. She stretched, reaching her arms towards the sky trying to shake of the memory of her nightmare.

Dirella was already up, the only one up. She was perched nearby on a small blanket, sitting cross legged with her eyes closed. She was breathing deeply and slowly, and Sylvia did not want to interrupt her. She decided to sit on a nearby log, and watch.

"It's rude to stare, you know?" Dirella said, without opening an eye. Sylvia was slightly taken aback by this, however regained composure quickly. Of course the wizard knew she was there.

"What are you doing?" She asked, cocking a brow. Dirella simply held up a finger in response, not uttering a word. Sylvia huffed, leaning back and placing her hands behind herself to stabilise her.

Dirella was silent for another five minutes, however gave a swift nod and a smile and opened her eyes. Her brown eyes seemed slightly tired, dark bags appearing underneath them.

"Ok, all done!" She declared.

"Done with what?" Sylvia asked, still slightly agitated she had been told to shut up, without being told to shut up.

"So you know how I've been trying to reach the King of Ammertia in his dreams? I've finally made a breakthrough!" Dirella stood up from her blanket, stretching her legs and beaming from ear to ear.

"A breakthrough?" Sylvia quizzed, wanting further information.

"You're going to love this," Dirella started, sitting down next to Sylvia on the mossy log. She grimaced at the dampness, however persisted. Last night's conversation with Darian was weighing heavily on her mind, and she wanted to make an attempt to get along with Sylvia better.

"So I go into his dream, and showed him this lavish ball. The best ball you could think of with gowns and music and even masquerade masks," Dirella had glossed over eyes at this point, proudly recalling the dream she had created. Sylvia had once been victim to these dreams, and knew they could be quite.... Persuasive.

"He's in the ball, everyone is there. But he sees a woman in a fox mask. He must follow this woman, he doesn't know why, but he must. For she will lead his empire to greatness!" Dirella was now standing, her arms moving wildly in theatrics. Avia cocked a brow.

"A little bit cliche, don't you think?" She asked cautiously. Dirella dropped her arms in a huff. Try as she might, her and Sylvia were like fire and ice.

"Humans are cliche Sylvia," she said, "besides, they're also extremely sensitive to the power of suggestion."

"Who's the woman in the fox mask?" Sylvia slowly asked, hesitant to hear the answer. Dirella perked up at this, looking down at Sylvia with a smile.

"Why, you of course."

Sylvia just can't let go of Anthony, who now goes by Tony

Sylvia just can't let go of Anthony, who now goes by Tony. What can I say, we love a bad boy.

What do you all think of Dirella's plan to try and gain an audience with the King? Do you think it'll work?

That's all for now, until next time!