Chapter 2: Tents? Tents.

"What are we doing?" Dirella asked. The group had been riding for several hours, and although they had made a great start, had many miles to go still. It would be a weeks journey to New Nortia, however with the weather warming up it would be more pleasant than usual.

"Why are we stopping?" Dirella continued when no one responded to her. The three steeds had been brought to a steady stop, slowing from a trot to a gentle stroll. They were currently on the main road, but it would be nightfall in a couple of hours.

"Stopping to set up for the night?" Sylvia said slowly, confusion evident on her face. Dirella looked mortified, a horrified expression flashing across her face.

"But.... Where will we sleep?" She demanded, hand on her chest.

"Tents."

"Tents?"

"Tents."

Darian, Sylvia and Aliyah had slept in tents on their journey north, and intended to do the same on their way back south. Not only did it save money, but also time. Staying in hotels and inns was expensive, and in order to afford it you would have to take odd jobs here and there to pay for it. This would only delay the journey further. Hence, they had decided to stick to the bare minimum, and take less jobs on in the process.

"No, no that simply won't do," Dirella pouted, crossing her arms over her chest. She refused to get down from the horse, and the three looked up at her with a scowl.

"Tents not good enough for you?" Sylvia asked, "you're more than welcome to pay for four rooms at an inn."

"Maybe I will," Dirella said. Darian perked up at this.

"Finally! Someone in the group with some decency! I think it's about time we started living it up," he shouted with glee. Sylvia looked at the sun. They had about two hours before it set, and the next town was about five hours away.

"Do you have coin?" Sylvia asked strongly, trying not to become aggressive. She wasn't good with people, even worse still with conflict resolution. Be it a tent or an inn, a bed is a bed to her.

"Well... Maybe not enough for four rooms..." Dirella admitted, "But enough for one."

"No." Sylvia said. Darian turned to her, putting on his very best puppy dog eyes.

"Please Sylvia, we can get two beds! I'll share with Aliyah you can share with Dirella!" He was met with sharp, glaring daggers for eyes. Darian stepped back, hands up in the air.

"Or the other way around I don't mind," he said quickly. Sylvia sighed, turning to look at Aliyah.

"Care to throw your two cents in?" Sylvia asked Aliyah, exasperated. Aliyah shrugged.

"I would not be upset sharing a bed with you," they said with a sly smile. Sylvia blushed furiously, turning towards Porche to remount.

"One room, two beds," Dirella requested to the innkeeper, placing her coin on the table

"One room, two beds," Dirella requested to the innkeeper, placing her coin on the table. The innkeeper, a small stout woman, counted the change then gave a curt nod. She retrieved one of the keys hanging on the wall behind her, and beckoned the group to follow.

She led them up the stairs, the wood groaning beneath their feet before they reached a small landing strip which led to the rooms. The group were led to the room at the very end of the hall. She turned swiftly, holding out the key. Dirella went to take it, before the inn keeper retracted the key. Dirella cocked a brow.

"Now I don't pry into anyone elses business but me own," she began, her voice barely above a whisper, "but I don't want no funny business, ya hear?"

"Whatever do you mean?" Darian asked, purely confused. The woman looked at the rag tag group in front of her. Two hunters, a wizard, and a seven foot cloaked figure stood before her. She furrowed her brows.

"No funny business!" She whisper yelled, before thrusting the key at Dirella and scurrying off.

"Wonder what that was about," Aliyah pondered from beneath the hood of their cloak. Because they were an elf, and elves had never been outside of their homeland, Aliyah would have to disguise themselves whenever around civilisation. A large cloak was the best solution the group had at the moment, and so far it hadn't failed.

Darian shrugged in response, as Dirella opened the door to their room. It wasn't a large room, but would do. The whole place was made of oak wooden planks, with a large red rug in the middle. Two double beds were pushed up against opposite corners, with a thin, folded dividing wall thrown in between. The beds were dressed in frilly bed sheets, the scratchy looking kind.

At the foot of each bed was a chest for storage, and two lounge couches sprawled in front of a fireplace. The fireplace was currently lit, the flames dancing happily while throwing light and warmth into the room. The group sighed happily, plonking themselves down on the couch.

"You know, we can't keep this up forever," Sylvia said, interrupting the peaceful silence.

"We aren't sleeping in tents. And that's that," Dirella said shortly. Sylvia felt herself growing agitated towards the wizard. Her previous adventure with Darian and Aliyah had been.... Interesting. However for the most part the group had gotten along and Sylvia had been the makeshift leader.

Now, things were different. Dirella added a new opinion to the mix, a very loud opinion.

"We can make money doing jobs," Darian offered, attempting to diffuse the situation.

"Would that not delay our journey?" Aliyah offered meekly, still somewhat unsure on what was going on.

"Yes, good point Aliyah. It would add at least another week," Sylvia said, eyes never wavering from Dirella's. Dirella did not back down however, meeting her gaze with her own steely eyes.

"So we make a week journey into two weeks, big deal. What's the rush anyway, I have made no headway on entering the King's dreams, and you three haven't fully recovered yet," Dirella explained. Darian looked at Sylvia and shrugged.

Then Sylvia backed down.

"Fine. But don't expect me to do all the work on the jobs," she huffed. Sylvia missed the days when her word was THE word, even before being with the group. Travelling the world alone, you were the master of your choices. But now, she had to please others. She almost wished she were on her journey alone.

Almost.

Tensions are already starting to heat up!

Who's side are you on? Dirella's or Sylvia's? They both have a good point here!