Chapter 15: Not Quite Equals

The energy in the room took a noticeable nose dive, the hunters seeming to shrivel in disappointment.

"You mean, we aren't guests?" Darian's mother asked, somewhat agitated.

"Not guests, but even more important to the smooth running of the event!" The King exclaimed, clearly trying to add some pizzazz to improve the situation. It wasn't working.

Sylvia glanced over at Darian, who couldn't seem to take his eyes off Zane. On his face, a mixture of anger, sadness, and regret. She knew he would need a D&M after this, a term she had learnt from Fleur.

"But what about your guards? There's only five of us, barely enough to control that many patrons," Darian's father reasoned, a valid point too. The King shook his head slowly.

"You see, I'm about to declare war with the vampire hoard to the North. My guards need the ball, it will be their last night of normality before I send them off," the King rebutted. Darian's father seemed to accept this, nodding his head with a solemn expression.

"Yes, my lord. I understand. Full armour, I take it?" He asked, like a dog following orders. The King nodded, before looking at his watch.

"Well, I guess we had best be going now, our guards do get very worried sometimes," Zane rolled his eyes at this, getting up from the table. Darian's father smiled, taking them over to the front door.

"Look at it this way, at least you and your girlfriend can spend some quality time together," Zane spat, quiet enough only Darian and Sylvia heard. Darian glared at him, as Zane and the King walked out of the door and into the night.

Darian's father slowly closed the door with a soft click, turning around and sighing loudly.

"What was that? You just became his bitch?" Darian asked, crossing his arms over his chest. Darian's father shot him a look.

"The King has allowed us to live in New Nortia for years now. While other hunter family's live in the wilderness and fight for survival," his eyes flicked over to Sylvia at this, before quickly looking away, "we live in the comfort of the city."

"Bull shit," it was Darian's mother who spoke up this time, with the group staring in awe at the fact she swore in front of them. She stormed up to Darian's father, and pointed a finger directly at his chest.

"How many times have we sorted out his problems?" She demanded, getting up close to his face. Darian's father seemed genuinely scared, shrinking back against the door behind him.

"Who calmed down the tree spirits when he angered them by cutting their forest down?" She asked, to which she received no response.

"Or the time his castle became infested with nekkers because he didn't clean up properly after an execution?" Again, no response.

"Hell, I even helped his wife when she was delivering Zane because her family was cursed by a goddamn leprechaun!" Darian's mothers voice was growing in volume, her frustration evident. Darian's father sighed in response.

"What was I supposed to do? He's my King?" His voice was calm, sorrowful even.

"He's not my King," Darian's mother spat. The Jenkins family then devolved into a squabbling mess. Fleur and Darian were fighting, as well as their parents. This left a somewhat flabbergasted Sylvia, Dirella, and Aliyah standing on the sidelines, unsure of who to barrack for.

"Dirella, can I speak with you?" Sylvia said, drawing Dirella way from the bickering. They left the silent Aliyah on their own, standing off to the side awkwardly.

She had just remembered the events that happened today, or rather the lack thereof, and wanted Dirella's opinion.

After explaining what she saw in the odd meadow, Sylvia watched as Dirella paced. Sylvia herself sat down in a comfortable couch, allowing Dirella full reign of the rug to walk back and forth as she thought.

"So for you, it was only a minute. But in reality, hours had passed?" Dirella quizzed, to which Sylvia simply nodded in response. Dirella stopped suddenly, spinning to face Sylvia directly.

"Time Demon!" She exclaimed, her eyes wide with excitement. Sylvia cocked a brow.

"Time Demon? I thought all demons were defeated centuries ago?" That is what her text books have taught her, although it wouldn't be the first time they had been incorrect.

"No no, I thought the same as well. I was there during the execution of the last demon," she said, looking down at the ground distractedly as if reliving the tale. She looked up once more, that look of joy back on her face.

"But one must have survive! There's no other explanation," Dirella confirmed, her voice firm with determination.

"Then we have to go back, we have to rescue that guy," Sylvia declared, standing up from her seated position. Dirella nodded in agreement.

"Of course, people go missing in a big city all the time. No one would even think anything supernatural about it. We will go back in the morning," Dirella said, appearing content with herself. Sylvia felt her face drop.

"Tomorrow? We need to go right now! He could be in danger Dirella," she argued, crossing her arms over her chest. Dirella glanced over at Sylvia, a look of mild irritability on her face.

"Demons are more powerful at night Sylvia, and you have never faced one. We had best take tonight to prepare and go in the morning," Dirella was being rational, and Sylvia understood where she was coming from. But the man she had met, if something were to happen to him in the time she had been away she would never forgive herself.

"Ok, tomorrow it is," Sylvia lied, crossing her fingers behind her back like a child.

Ok so I've got good news and bad news

Ok so I've got good news and bad news. Even without the image at the top, Wattpad is still taking my chapters down. Hooray!

But this means that I'll keep adding the images, because if it gets taken down regardless, I may as well make it fabulous!

What do you all think Sylvia is planning? Will her and Dirella ever actually agree on something? Stay tuned to find out tomorrow!