Chapter 4: Oh What I'd Do For Some Coin

Sylvia awoke later in the morning than expected, still in Aliyah's arms. They seemed to still be asleep, their gentle breathing slow and steady. Sylvia smiled, snuggling into their chest, feeling their heart beat. It was calming to her.

Light gently filtered in through the drawn curtains, a gentle freeze sending them to and fro. The fireplace was starting to ebb away, the embers still red hot despite the lack of a flame. The room was still warm, however Sylvia dared not venture outside of the blankets. Not just yet, anyway.

Darian too was beginning to stir, the pang of hunger bringing him into consciousness. He stretched while he lay, his legs and arms sprawling the total expanse of the mattress. His eyes then flew wide open, and he shot up straight.

"Where's Dirella?" He barked, his voice still croaky from sleep. Sylvia groaned in response, muffled by Aliyah's chest, Aliyah themselves awoken by the commotion.

"She was in your bed, how'd you manage to lose her while she was asleep?" Sylvia groaned, gently pushing herself up and away from the warm embrace of Aliyah's arms. As she had suspected, it was colder in the room than under the covers. She shivered as she got up out of bed, leaving a barely awake Aliyah to sort themselves out.

"Well I happened to be asleep too, despite your best attempts keep me up," Darian joked with a wink. Sylvia rolled her eyes, but a small grin gave her true emotions away.

As if summoned by the mere mention of her name, Dirella came bounding in through the door to the room. The door slammed as it hit the wall, causing Aliyah to jump up from the bed, and the two hunters to spin back around to face her.

"Morning!" She sang happily. Dirella then proceeded to slam the door shut once more, alerting anyone in the neighbouring rooms she had returned.

"Where were you? You can't just run off without telling anyone," Sylvia scolded, causing Dirella to wave a dismissive hand at her. The gesture offended Sylvia, but she made no comment about it. Rather, she watched as Dirella paced to the middle of the room, and thrust a pamphlet in front of Sylvia's face.

"Here, this is what I was doing," she stated matter of factly. Sylvia snatched the piece of paper out of her hand, and began to read through. Darian was on her shoulder, skimming the paper too.

"A job?" Sylvia asked, sceptical. Dirella nodded enthusiastically as she plonked down on the bed. Aliyah soon was up, and peered around the corner at the commotion.

"I realised that you were right. If I want to live a certain way, I had best make sure we can afford to live this way. Hence, the contract," Dirella said, satisfied she had fulfilled her duty to the group. Sylvia and Darian read through the contract, eyebrows raised.

"Dirella, this is an escort job," Darian said, turning to face her.

"So? Pays well," she said. Sylvia huffed.

"That's not the point, this isn't really our kind of gig," Sylvia said. Dirella just shrugged.

"You said you needed help on jobs, here I am. Helping with jobs. It isn't my fault you didn't specify what jobs," Dirella said, before beginning to pack her things.

"Best hurry now, wouldn't want to keep the client waiting," she laughed, leaving a stumped Sylvia to wonder why Dirella was even invited on this journey in the first place.

And that is how the group found themselves in front of a smithing shop, staring up at a six foot man

And that is how the group found themselves in front of a smithing shop, staring up at a six foot man. All except Aliyah, who was actually looking down at him.

"So, you're here about the escort job," the Burley man said. He was a gruff looking thing, with arms as thick as tree trunks. His hands were worn, craggy, shaped by years of hard work on the anvil.

"Not much to ya, is there," he continued. It appeared his personality was about as crude as his appearance. Sylvia didn't say a word, this was Dirella's job. Not hers. Dirella felt the absence of a response lingering for too long, before stepping forward and clearing her throat.

"I assure you, kind sir, that we are up for the task," she said with a forced smile. The man crossed his arms in front of his chest, glowering at her.

"I've sent three wagons worth of tools to New Nortia, and all three have been raided, pillaged, and set ablaze by those filthy goblins," the man explained gruffly, spitting on the ground. Sylvia noted she was unable to see his mouth love below the thick expanse of his beard.

"So, they're now well armed goblins?" Darian offered, stepping forward to face the large man. Darian gently pushed Dirella back behind him, as if to protect her. The man just rose a furry brow.

"I guess you could say that," he grumbled in response, using his last two remaining brain cells to ponder that thought. After what seemed like a millenia, he grunted and jutted out his hand.

"Gregory is the name," he said, as Darian shook his outstretched hand. Dirella stayed by Darian's side, as the odd looking group discussed the plan as well as payment.

Meanwhile, Sylvia and Aliyah decided to check out the caravan they would be protecting. It was a well armoured mobile, with steel reinforcement along the sides, however looked like a regular passenger carriage.

However, upon peeking in Sylvia saw that it was filled to the brim with weapons, armour, all made from the finest quality material. They were, after all, in Hamersville. Home to the finest smithing in Ammertia.

"What would the King need with all of these weapons?" Aliyah asked. Sylvia furrowed her brows, a sense of unease washing over her. The group had heard of the vampires making their way south, but they had a long way to go until they reached the doors of New Nortia.

And even then, what would they do? New Nortia was a fortress, able to withstand years of assault while keeping their people safe. However, based on the shipment of weapons coming in, the King of Humans was preparing for war.

"What do you mean sleeping on the road?" Aliyah and Sylvia's attention was drawn back towards the current negotiation taking place. It had been Dirella who was squawking at the large man Gregory.

"It's a long way from here to New Nortia, there isn't always going to be a town to stop by every night," Darian said, making a futile attempt to calm the hysterical Dirella.

"You're swords for hire, not noblemen. Besides, I can tell you're all non-human scum anyway," Gregory grunted causing Dirella to blanch, turning his attention back to his horses. It would take four horses to pull the carriage, and so he intended for each one of them to make it to New Nortia.

"That was uncalled for," Sylvia muttered, making her way over to Dirella.

"Even after all that, after you made a song and dance about sleeping in tents, we're going to be sleeping in tents. And with a racist to boot!" Sylvia couldn't contain herself. The irony of the situation was plain as day, and Darian couldn't help but stifle a laugh himself, earning an angered glare from Dirella.

"Next time, read the fine print," Sylvia said before turning to strut away, victorious.

New characters, new conflicts

New characters, new conflicts. And Dirella kind of had it coming. She isn't the best at picking contracts clearly!

As always make sure to like and comment. Until next time!