Chapter 14: The Invitation

After dinner, the group were all gathered in the living room with their shopping bags strewn across the floor. It was a mixture of textures, fabrics and colours that had exploded out from bags and boxes. Even Fleur had brought out the few dresses she owned to assess which one would be best.

"Oh, I haven't been to a ball in so long!" Dirella tutted. She was holding up different dresses she had brought against herself, scrutinising each one down to the seam. All of them were purple, of course.

"I've never even been to a ball!" Fleur exclaimed, clasping her hands together at her chest. She was visibly excited, as any teen girl would. The chance to dress up, bump elbows with the rich and influential. She was practically shaking.

"What happened to focusing on the mission?" Sylvia poked Dirella, who quickly shot her a look.

"We can still have fun and be presentable, as long as we achieve our goal," she retorted, going back to her dresses.

Sylvia assessed her own dress situation. Dirella had only gotten her one, insisting that it was the perfect dress. Looking at the lace trim and frilly skirt, Sylvia was doubtful anything other than a plateskirt would be perfect for her. However, Dirella had chosen a black dress to meet Sylvia halfway. Initially she had insisted on baby pink....

"How'd you two do?" Sylvia asked Aliyah and Darian, trying to ignore her own dress.

"Well, I got the memo," Darian said, holding up a neat set of tight black pants, next to a ruffled white top. It was a bit more frivolous than a normal dress shirt, but the way he looked at it made Sylvia's heart swell.

"I did not like the options available," Aliyah muttered, attention clearly on the task at hand. Sylvia looked over to see Aliyah had gathered a large box filled with natural debris. Leaves, sticks, flowers, filled to the brim with it. Aliyah was currently sewing them all together in a pattern, with matching leaves being clumped together here and there.

"I didn't know you could sew," Dirella gasped, placing her own dresses down to inspect Aliyah's work. She seemed impressed, gently lifting the delicate sections up and inspecting them. Aliyah smiled.

"My mother taught me," they said, a tinge a sadness in their voice. Sylvia reached over, gently placing her hand over Aliyah's. She received a soft smile in return.

Suddenly, there was a loud knock on the door. Sylvia heard Darian's father get up from the dining table in the other room, and open the door tentatively. Once open, she heard loud greetings, and a firm handshake take place. She could only imagine how intimidating a handshake would be from the burly man.

"Yes yes, well we had a matter to discuss in person," a gruff voice said, one Sylvia had not heard before.

"Well of course! Come in, would you like a cup of tea?" Darian's father replied, polite as ever.

"I would, thanks," another voice said, lighter than the first. Sylvia glanced over at Darian, to see him visibly pale.

"Who is it?" She whispered. Darian gulped audibly, standing up from the floor to dust himself off and preen his hair.

"It's.... It's the King...." He began, quickly running a hand through his tousled hair, "but also.... Zane..."

"Who is Zane?" Aliyah asked, looking up from their needlework. Darian glanced down at the group.

"Well... He's the King's kid.... But also my ex..."

"Well.... Shit," Dirella said shortly. They all knew they would have to go into the other room, but Darian quite obviously was hesitant. Sylvia clasped his hand tightly, giving it a reassuring squeeze. Then they all stepped through.