Like the Singer

"Like the singer."

"What?"

"There's a famous singer with the same name as me."

"Oh." (Can't be that famous if I've never heard of him.)

But now I know the both of you.  Time has passed, and confessions rotted in the bucket before any got served.  The lessons we teach each other transcend time, and if either of us knew the teaching that was going on in those moments, I'm sure we would have stopped and stared at each other, dumbfounded.

What happened next is as much a mystery as what was happening in that moment.  You had no ability to stop your part, and I had no ability to stop mine.  Looking back, I wonder if it baffles you as much as it does me.

I don't know which side of the grass you're on.  You might be right where I left you.  You might have got up from the ground after that, and you might have gone on to greater things than I've seen.

Every time I think about the choices people make, and what makes them as cruel as they are to one another, I remember the innocence in my own cruelty.

There are things that just happen, and there are things that a person does, and watches as if it is happening before them, when really it's happening by their own hand.

Everything seems like a logical extension of the previous action, coupled with the environment, and linked to all the actors in the room.  All the actors in the universe perhaps. 

And these choices make an illustration of how hurting each other seems like such a natural thing to do.

Peace be with you.