Doctors and Lawyers and Such

Doctors and lawyers and such are the type of folks that don't come from here. They come to town, but they don't grow here. They come from other places and make us feel like there's an insulating layer between the people of the earth and The Man. And they are that layer. No matter how you try to grip it, it feels like a hand full of grease. No matter how you try to see through it, it's like an applied layer of grease. No matter how you try to hear it, it feels like your ears are filled.

It's happened more than once that a kid grew up in this valley and watched the grease and how it works, how it makes things slide in the direction of the one who controls it, and makes the unwanted slide away. Those kids saw everything, like all kids do, and knew that there was a power that could be held by a powerless person. These powerless people that came to our town and made things slide one way or another would be easy to defeat, if only a person knew how to play their game. They weren't special. They were nothing new under the sun.

More than a few kids from this valley went off to college, and learned the way. Thing is, once they learned it, they never came back. They went to some other town where they weren't from.