Chapter 9: A Flicker of Light

The next morning, Ámbar takes a sip from her café con leche on the counter while flipping through some magazines. Simon enters with a binder in his hands and drops it in front of her. "I know you've been stressed about everything that's been going on with the Jam and Roller but mi amor, you need to give some time for yourself too like.... Deciding on some wedding preparations." Ámbar slightly smiles at Simón's gesture to try to remind her about their wedding. "It's just everything going on has made me feel less enthused about the whole wedding you know? Like I am excited, but there's just so much that's on our plate that it feels like there's no time in the world to be able to get all of this done."

   Simón nods in response. "Yes, I understand but the good news is Luna has decided to help us and so has Nina. Maybe this is also an opportunity for the two of you to become more closer." Ámbar stays quiet then says, "yeah I suppose."

   Even though it's 6 a.m. in the morning, nothing stops Luna to energetically roller skate all the way to Simón's and Ámbar's apartment. She reveals her presence by numerously knocking on their door. "Speaking of Luna," Simón chuckled. He opens the door and Luna runs right in holding a flyer in the air. "I have an idea that can save the Jam and Roller!!!" Luna announces.

   "Nice to see you too," Simón jokingly greeted. Ámbar barely makes a move since by now, she's use to Luna's chaotic side. "And what seems to be the dazzling idea that made you wake up so early and wear your shirt on backwards," Ámbar states. Luna shakes her head in shock. "What I didn't wear my shirt on backwards (looks at her shirt tag appearing in the front) ... oh... whoops." Simón and Ámbar laugh to Luna's amusement. "Well whatever, that's not the point. The point is there's a skating competition and the winning team earns a large sum of money, so much that it can help us all purchase back the Jam and Roller before it gets taken down." Ámbar gestures for Luna to hand her the flyer and Luna excitedly lays it upon her hands.

   "Wow Luna, this is a great idea. I'm in," Simón comments. "Yayyy! What about you Ámbar?"

   Ambar glances at the both of them and says, "this idea sounds... lovely but we would need all of us to participate as a team since the minimum amount per group is ten members. Who knows if everyone would say yes to this? Almost none of us have skated for years and there's no guarantee that we would win." Luna's curvy smile slowly fell. "Well, we have no other choice Ámbar, this would be the only way we can remotely afford the place." Simon nods in agreement. "I shall let the gang know about this competition, but I am not making any promises, I know a lot of them won't feel like participating in such a rigorous event especially when this summer is the only time they've got to relax. Plus, where am I even going to find a coach in such short notice?" Ámbar clarified. "Oh, don't you worry, I've got that part under control," Luna smirks.

Jam and Roller

   "Jazmín why did you post that video of me singing to you guys? I sang that song in secret, not so the whole world would know that I still have a deep crush on Ramiro?" Yam emphasized. "Oh, please Yam I was doing you a favor. Your video has already over 50,000 views, it's getting super popular. I don't even know why you're worried about that anyways, you say it like if Ramiro doesn't know that you love him." Jazmín insisted. Jim tries to hide her little giggles from Jazmín's comment. "Honestly I don't think he knows since he hasn't asked me out on a date." Yam frowns. "Maybe that's the issue and now he'll probably know. You see, you should be thanking me."

   Matteo sits alone drinking his smoothie in a depressing atmosphere. Gastón notices as he enters the place with Nina. "Uh Nina, I'll see you later, I'm going to talk to Matteo. He seems upset." Nina nods in response.