Chapter 11: The Cut that Burrows Deep

Ámbar feels like every step she takes, the more she can feel her heartbeat. It's like she's carrying it in her arms with nothing to guard it, out in the open alone. She opens the cold rusted handle of the entrance to the restaurant. There she is, her biological mom trembling while drinking a glass of water. Ámbar sums up all the courage inside her and takes the chance to approach her. When she grabs the seat in front of her, Sylvania can't help but stare in shock. "Wow Ámbar, you truly have grown." Ámbar may have brought all her walls down for the people she loves, but she puts them back up with this stranger.

   "You can't say that since you were never there for me. That's no fair," Ámbar chided. Sylvania chokes up and avoids eye contact. "Look Ámbar, I now know after everything that has happened the big mistake I made, but at the time it felt like the best option for you. I was young and didn't have the means nor felt ready to take care of a child. I thought Sharon would've been a better parental figure instead of a young girl like myself. I later on regretted it and that's something I shall have to carry with me for the rest of my life."

   Ámbar grips onto her purse trying very hard to hold back all her tears. She wonders why did this lady chose Sharon specifically and why did Sharon try to keep it a secret for so long? "I understand you were young, but I know that's not the whole story because I have memories being in a different house that was NOT Benson Mansion. You saw me, you knew me, and didn't like me enough to keep me," Ámbar rebuked. Sylvania is showing tears now, she's choking up with every word as her hand trembles just to take a sip of water. "It wasn't like that at all Ámbar. I tried, I really did try to see if I was capable of taking care of a child. I noticed my arms weren't so comforting for you. Sometimes when you love someone, so much, you have to let them go because you care," Sylvania responded. Ámbar doesn't know whether to believe what she's saying or not. She wishes she can get out of these tornadoes of lies that always come chasing her. She's sick of it all. She wants the truth. Is that too much to ask for?

   Silence crowds the room, they're breathing the same air but can't even look at each other. Sylvania speaks up again. "I know this feels hard to believe but why do you think I came back? It was for that reason, I thought Sharon would be a better parent than me and would take great care of you. I realized I was sadly wrong."

   "Sharon? Of all people? What made you think that a woman who put a place on fire because she was jealous of her own sister would be a perfect parent for a child? Do you know she never showed me affection or love? I had to learn it all on my own. She only showed any signs of care when she needed me part of her plan that only benefitted her. You left me to a person who only cares about themselves," Ámbar fumed.

   "It wasn't like that at all. I had no idea about her being the cause of the Benson fire and she had already adopted you before that even happened. When I met her, she was a kind woman, I was friends with Lili from work, so I had already knew the family. I assumed that Sharon had a good heart just like Lili, even though she was seemingly different. The whole time I would interact with her, she was always nice and seemed to really want a child because she always felt alone. It all just felt fitting." Ámbar is trying to put together all the puzzle pieces in her head with Sylvania's story. Part of her doesn't believe it but.... It does kind of make sense. For her it justifies nothing even though she has hope.

   Before she gets up from her seat, she leaves a wad of cash. "Ámbar where are you going? We haven't even ordered yet?" Sylvania asks. "I'm not feeling hungry anymore, here's some money for dinner." Ámbar heads out the door with no remnants behind other than the tears that fall to the floor.

" Ámbar heads out the door with no remnants behind other than the tears that fall to the floor