Chapter 10

GENESIS

"Fix her"

At his command the medic hurriedly entered his room and began inspecting my wounds. She applied some ointment to my burns as the boy looked on in curiosity.

"How long will it take for the burns to heal" he asked.

"They are pretty bad so I can't say for sure Pr-"

Before she could finish her sentence, he cut her off.

"Armani" he said in a rush.

"Right, Armani" with her response, she continued tending to my wounds.

I couldn't help but think how cruel my fate has been, I'd be lucky if I wasn't left with scars as a reminder of my time on the pole.

"Would you like me to take a look at your leg as well? I heard Aura did a number on you"

At this I raised an eyebrow, completely caught off guard.

"Aura did a number on who? Me?"

My confusion was quickly replaced by a laugh when I realized that this lady was serious.

"Have you checked on Aura? Because last time I checked, I did the numbering. Not her"

Ny prestige and reputation were not to be played with, and I surely do not appreciate them trying to downplay both.

"Who are spreading these lies Healer?" Armani asked from beside me.

"Lies? I doubt these are li-" she started earning a solid glare from the kid beside me. "Aura and First Beta Zekiel has been speaking on the recent spar"

Oh.

Is this the game that was being played? What was there to gain from this all? Barely my first day and the drama has already begun.

"Calm down G" his tiny hands made its way on to my balled fists.

"Leave" Armani dismissed and once again his bluntness took me off guard.

"You really should be nicer Armani" I half scolded.

"Why? Did you see the way she looked at you?" He said. "Anyways, as soon as you eat we're going to play fortnite together."

I could already tell that this little boy was too accustomed to getting his way. But for today I will humour the little kid, he did save me after all. I just hope this wouldn't come back to bite me in the ass later on.

"CHEATER"

Armani screamed at the top of his lungs, hitting me with a pillow. It has been hours since we've been playing all kind of games and it has been quite fun.

During this time, I've learnt that he is soon to be 10 years old, lives with his brother and hate pickles.

"I'm not, you really just suck"

My neck stung and my body was in so much pain but being here with this child just brought me so much joy.

Shit. Michael.

"Let me borrow your phone kid" he rolled his eyes and handed it to me.

I quickly dialed Michael's number and waited for him to pick up.

"Michael I-"

Before a sentence could make its way from my mouth he began going off on me. In the space of two minutes he went from, cursing me out, being worrisome and filling me in on what has been happening.

Apparently the Beta was looking for me as well as anyone who set me free. Instantly I began worrying for the safety of Armani, it had never been in my intention to place him in harms way.

But I knew the consequences and I still stuck with him.

"Stupid. Stupid. Stupid" I whisper-shouted smacking my forehead.

"Michael, I have to go. I'll meet you back at my apartment. This is bad. This is so so bad" I hung up before he could respond.

Pacing up and and down, I had no idea what I was going to do. I don't mind taking another round of punishment but over my dead body would I allow anyone to touch a hair on Armani's head.

"What is it" I turned to face him as soon as he had spoken.

"I placed you in danger that's what. What were you thinking letting me go?" I asked stooping to his level.

"I was thinking that you didn't belong there" he replied.

Running my hand down my face I released a frustrated sigh, I knew he meant well but I just wished he had thought about the consequences to his actions.

"Listen kid. Sometimes in life, we'll want to save others but we have to think about ourselves and how our actions will affect our lives and safety. It's not selfish to protect yourself. Ok?"

My thoughts were all muddled but I needed him to understand what I was saying to him.

"I get it. I would still do it again"

Why was this kid so stubborn. I began pacing once again, finally deciding that I need to get out of here and to my apartment undetected. But how?

I'm sure they already have the place filled with persons on the look out for the getaway runt.

"I need to get away, I can't be caught in your presence. God knows what they'll do to you" I nibbled on my lip.

What the hell am I doing? I'm a warrior. Why am I allowing my actions to be controlled by mere emotions. I took one calling breath then another.

What was this? I'll have to place the blame on the lack of sleep and torture I had to endure the previous night.

Sitting back down on Armani's bed, the wheels in my head began turning. This was not me, unfocused, emotional thinking.

"I can get you back to your apartment if that's what you're worried about" he whispered.

"No kid, that's not what I'm worried about. I'm worried about you getting caught in the crossfire of all of this." I gestured around.

"You did a good thing, and I won't allow you to be punished for it"

He nodded, flopping back down on his bed without a care in the world.

"You know, I could always call my big brother. He can fix any situation" he said with pride.

I chuckled at his admiration for his brother, it was clear in his eyes.

"I'm sure he can bud"

Just as the words left my mouth, a loud banging came from the door.

Shit.

++++++

Here we go.

Did you like this chapter ? Let me hear your thoughts.