The Cella Ball

I awoke to the sound of sniffles and sighed.

        Still staring up at my white ceiling, I groaned lightly, "Really, Carla? Seriously?"

         Her little cries became more vocal as she rolled over in my bed and hugged me. "Goddess, I'm gonna miss you, ya know? You're leaving me with stinky Jed!"

        I laughed, "You have an entire Pack of werewolves to keep you company, Carls. And I'm coming back!"

         We sat up in the bed, and she huffed. "It's only a few months right?"

         I nodded my head, "About that. My Dad said it could even be less."

         She finger brushed her long black hair and pouted at me, "If your Father thinks it's so dangerous, why is he letting you go to the Ball?"

         I adverted my gaze to the window, "I've been requested by someone, which means I have to go. Honestly, I don't think it's dangerous at all. My Dad is just so over-protective. He can't stand the idea that some first class Alpha has an interest in me."

         Carla sniffed loudly. "But... But why is some random Alpha interested in you? What if he takes you away? Like all the other gir-"

          I flopped backwards on the bed. "He can't, I'm a human. The rules clearly state you cannot force anyone to return back with you unless they are your mate. And the last time a human had a mate was in the, like 1700's." I laughed lightly.

         My friend didn't laugh at all. Tears welled up in her bright green eyes. "I've heard so many awful stories, Bella. Those girls who are requested - They never come back."

         I sat right back up and pulled my precious friend into my arms. She cried, repeating how much she'd miss me as I ran my hand through her hair.

        "You'd think I'm going off to war." I mumbled with a smile. "Really, I'll be okay!"

         After an unnecessarily emotional goodbye with Carla, I straightened my room and packed my final suitcase. Alex and Dad had arranged for a driver to take me to Aunt Kris's house immediately after the event.

         I spent the afternoon keeping myself busy, not allowing any negative thoughts to enter my mind. After finishing some online course work, I baked two dozen chocolate chip cookies. Then I watered all of the indoor plants. Then I dusted my room. And the windows. Again.

        "This is madness!" Anthony hollered when he saw me standing on a chair, dusting the top of the fridge. Before I could argue, my brother wrapped a fat arm around my hips and roughly tugged me off the chair.

         "Dad, now she's cleaning the top of the fridge!" He yelled in a playfully annoyed voice.

          "Leave me alone, Anthony! Go somewhere else." I swatted a dirty rag at him.

          Eventually, it was time to get ready. There was no more room for stalling, and I sat at my vanity and opened my large makeup drawer. Pulling out my hairbrush, hair pins, facial serums and tools in front of myself, I froze.

         I couldn't bring myself to begin. Staring at myself in the reflection, I sat there, stuck. I took a deep breath and exhaled.

Maybe I should double check my suitcases. Did I pack enough novels? I don't think I packed enough, in fact I'm pretty sure I forgot-

Mia entered my room suddenly, interrupting my train of thoughts. Her bright smile instantly lifted my mood.

"Need help?" She asked cheerfully as she examined my expression. Her eyes held surprise for just a moment before smiling at me knowingly.