The Chase

I frantically flung open the door at the top of the stairs. My hand remained locked around Telzara's, ready to drag her along as we ran from the Guards that were just mere feet behind us.

The door fully opened and I froze.

A quiet gasp left Telzara's lips.

My family, warriors, and wolves were scattered around the room - Father circling two Guards, Anthony in his human form and fighting another one of the King's men. I even saw Katara towards the back, casting a strange grey mist over her own attackers.

Even more wolves were battling throughout the giant room - I couldn't tell who was from Mainland and who was from Otherland. It was chaos, creatures wrestling one another as men and women battled.

But despite that chaos, my eyes immediately locked onto my Mate. In seconds our gazes found one another and everything stilled.

Even the Guards chasing us had suddenly stopped, taken aback at the sight of their King.

   Their King, whose throat was lodged between a my Mate's jaws.

The scene burnt into my mind. Bron in his glorious wolf form, bloodied fangs locked around Speerburn's throat. The two creatures froze their deadly battle at our interruption. Both pairs of eyes locking onto Telzara and I.

His eyes bore into mine intensely, like he was telling me something through the glare.

And I easily knew what Bron was saying. Of course, it was something along the lines of , 'Get out.' or 'Stay back.'

Speerburn snarled out a weak and strangled bark from beneath him, and instantly large hands went around my torso.

The Guards from behind us had darted forward at their King's command, heavy arms locking around Telzara and I. The Witch beside me let out a loud cry of pain at their harsh hands and I gasped, instantly starting to fight against their hold.

      But the sharp dagger pointing at my throat made me stop.

My eyes widened, looking back to my Mate.

     A deep, rumbling growl poured out from him, literally shaking the floor. His eyes darkened, jaws visibly tightening around the King's limp neck as a clear warning.

     But when his grip on Speerburn closed, the blade against my skin dug deeper.

     The fighting around the room had halted, as everyone tensely watched the scene unfold. Anthony, who stood with fists raised as he faced off with several Guards, spoke.

     "I'd drop that knife if I were you..." He loudly suggested to the man behind me playfully. "Your King doesn't appear to be in any position to be giving orders."

      Speerburn thrashed under Bron.

      The Guard behind me spoke, "H-He mindlinked me - All of us!" He yelled out, "You snap his neck and I'll cut her's!"

       My Father was creeping closer, a steady snarl coming from his bloody muzzle. But every step he took, the surrounding wolves and men of the King Speerburn's inched closer as well.