The Party

I woke up late the next morning. I stirred awake slowly and smiled to myself, immediately recognizing my own blankets and bedroom. I really was home.

        But my happiness dimmed slightly as I clearly woke up. I thought of my friend, Ny-ell. I wondered what he was doing at that very moment. I even thought of Bron. Surely he'd have discovered my absence by now.

        My frown deepened and my heart clenched as I thought about what may have happened after I left. He must have walked back into the library, only to find me gone. Did he search the halls for me? Thinking I had gotten lost in them again? I still couldn't believe I didn't say goodbye.

        No, Annabella! No, he held me there against my will! I shouldn't feel guilty! ....Right?

         I sighed and rolled over in my bed, hugging a warm pillow. It wasn't as warm as when Bron held me. It wasn't even close at all.

         Suddenly, I forced myself out of bed and into the restroom without thinking. I needed to distract myself - Enough with all of these negative thoughts. I should be happy, I'm home!

         I quickly cleaned up and combed my hair. I was about to style it as usual, and ensure every hair was smooth and patted down into place. But I paused with my hands still raised. I slowly set down the styling gel and pins as I stared at my reflection.

          I decided to leave my hair hanging loose around my waist.

          My wild and loose hair reminded me of the adventures with Ny-ell. Every time he used his orange magic, the blonde locks would whip around, sometimes smacking him in the face.

           I caught myself smiling in the mirror.

           After getting dressed and making my bed, I made my way downstairs. I passed my Father's office, and slowed when I heard his distressed voice.

           "Yes. I understand, Your Highness. I appreciate the personal call, I do. But... But it's been less than a day. Allow time to recover. Allow her time to-"

            He paused and I could barely make out a muffled voice on the other end of the line. I peeked in the doorway to see Alexander and Adam also in the room, quietly listening to our Father's call.

           "Yes. We're grateful. Tonight." My Father spoke in a hard voice before ending the call. He stared out the window after hanging up. Adam cursed and Alexander rubbed his forehead.

           I continued down the hall. It was clear whatever that conversation was, it wasn't a happy one. And Father wouldn't be pleased to catch me listening in on them. I disregarded it, assuming it was Pack or Royal business as usual.

          Finally, I found Anthony on the couch. With him, was Adam's mate, Mia. She leapt up when she saw me. Her eyes greedily took me in, pausing in surprise on my loose hair. She smiled brightly at me.

          "Oh... Oh, Annabella!" She rushed to me, practically trampling my brother in the process.

          "Rude." Anthony muttered as Mia embraced me tightly.

           "Oh, thank the Goddess! I.. I was so worried! Goddess, we all were. Two whole months!" She ranted emotionally into my hair.