The Trick

Ny-ell handed me another glass of that strange purple liquid. I hadn't finished the first one, as it tasted awful and burned going down my throat. And from the three sips, I felt dizzy. If I didn't know any better, I'd say he was trying to get me drunk. Which I wasn't! At least, I don't think I was. I felt... lighter. Just a tad bit more care free. It was kind of nice.

I set the glass down next to my unfinished one, "Ny-ell, May I ask what you are? I can see that you're not a Werewolf..."

The man held a hand to his chest as he suddenly coughed at my words, "Me?! A wolf?! Oh no, Kitten. I'm no dog. I'm a fairy."

"Wow..." I nodded in understanding. Of course! The sneaky smile, magical aura.

"How lovely! I've never met a real Fae person before." I told him. Then I whispered, "Are you allowed to be here?"

Ny-ell downed the rest of his drink, "Oh, we're not lovely, Kitty. We're very, very naughty. Never trust a fairy, sweet girl." He leaned in to whisper as well, "And no, no I am not."

I furrowed my brows, "Well can't I trust you? Didn't you say we'd be good friends?"

Ny-ell dropped his smile for a moment. He watched me, and it slowly returned to his lips, "You know what? Yes. Yes I did say that, Kitten. Good friends we shall be!"

We cheers-ed our cups with smiles.

The rest of the night was a dream. Ny-ell danced with me for a long time, swirling me around in his arms in a playful and mischievous manner. It made me laugh loudly, which only made him spin me faster. Then he helped me pick out different foods from the many tables - most of which I had never heard or seen before! Some of them didn't even really look like food at all. And after that, Ny-ell showed me the garden outside through the large glass windows. Just like the ceiling, the flowers looked as if they were made of stars, glittering and shining with millions of small twinkling lights. He said we couldn't touch them.

Lastly, he introduced me to many, many different people.

"Maximusss!" Ny-ell called in a sing-song voice. He pulled me along in his arms as we approached a large man.

Growing up around wolves, I knew how to pick a Werewolf from a crowd. And this bulky man was clearly a powerful Alpha. He turned to us with a bored expression. "Why am I not surprised you've managed to slip through the cracks. What, Fairy?"

"Looky what I haveee." My friend sang as he gave me a twirl.

Maximus glanced at me, "A date? Good for you, Ny-ell. Now if you'll excuse me." The man began to walk away.

Ny-ell called after him, "Oh not just any date! Kitty cat, tell my friend your name please."

I nodded, "Uhm, my name is Annabella!"

Maximus's retreating form immediately froze. He slowly turned around to look at me. The blank expression on his face now held disbelief. His brown eyes darted from me to Ny-ell in surprise.

"Y-You...!" He struggled to find the words and I frowned in confusion. "You're a dead man, Ny-ell. I hope your wings can fly fast because when he finds out that-"

"Ohh, but my Kitten and I have been having the mostest fun! Wouldn't you agree?" He asked me as he pulled me close to his chest.

I smiled and nodded my head against the material of his shirt. "I am having a splendid time. And it's nice to meet you Alpha Maximus."