The Charmed Chain

As soon as my brother and Minaya left through the Portal, Travis came sprinting into the old, dirty hall of the cells. He ran right up to me, quickly gripped my arm, turned around, and rushed the two of us back up the weak and rusted stairs.

"Didn't you hear me?! We have to go now! The Guards on Patrol will be passing any second." He whispered yelled to me as he dragged me out of the Dungeons. "Where's Minaya?!"

"She's... She left with Alexander." I said to him as we hurried down the dark hall.

"What?! No, she couldn't have left. How-" He cut himself off, shaking his head frantically, "Forget it, come. Quickly."

I looked over my shoulder to see the Portal finally close entirely. Otis was right, it was smaller than the other ones I had seen before, weaker and a little shaky. But I was glad it was strong enough to carry both of them through.

A strange weight rolled off of my shoulders, knowing Speerburn couldn't deceive, use, or hurt anyone I loved anymore. They were out of reach from him.

He can't touch them in Otherland.

Travis pulled me up the stairs and out of the Dungeons. I watched as he quickly locked the door behind us, pocketed the keys, and pulled me into the hallway.

"We're going for a walk in the Gardens. They just cut the grass and the smell of it will cover the odor of the cells." He whispered by my side.

I nodded my head and followed him.

Perhaps my Mate wasn't entirely right about Travis. Sure, he was certainly a softie. Perhaps a bit of a pushover. But his idea was clever - I hadn't even thought about the pungent scent of the cells lingering on me.

       But as we walked through those gardens, my mind began to wander. Speerburn wasn't a compete fool, unfortunately. He wouldn't believe that the matching timing of my arrival and Alexander's disappearance is simply a coincidence.

      The King would soon realize what I had done, and it was only matter of time. But honestly, I'd be far more concerned if he didn't figure it out.

      I was so lost in my own thoughts, that I jumped when a loud voice barked at us.

      "Are you a fool?" The Blonde Guard from earlier stomped towards us, angry eyes locking onto Travis. "I said two minutes! It's been nearly ten!"

The Guard next to me stiffened, "Oh- Uh, We-"

"I felt nauseous again and needed some fresh air." I cut him off, halting Travis's nervous sputtering. "But I'm feeling much better now, thank you."

Before Blondie could burst another blood vessel in frustration, I turned to Travis. "Thank you."

He simply nodded his head before slowly walking off. The poor Guard seemed so confused at where Minaya had gone, but we truly couldn't have done it without him. I was very grateful to him, even though he had no idea how much he had just helped us.

I let out a tired sigh, and joined the Blonde Guard's side. He glared down at me with harsh and accusing eyes, "Listen, girl. You are going back to that room right now. No tricks, no games."