The Mainland

After Alexander was struck down by the silver-laced staff again, Speerburn's men carried him off to the Dungeons. As strange and uncharacteristic it was of me, I didn't feel any real fear, or desperate worry for my brother.

        I didn't plead with the King, or try to chase after his men as they took Alex.

         I only felt disappointment. Disappointment in how he had entirely ignored my words earlier, in the garden.

        Everything was going to be fine, if he had just listened to me! I had a solution to our family being held captive - Bron was going to help us. Yet he wouldn't even hear my words. He insisted that I needed to come back, no matter what I was telling him.

It didn't make any sense.

What did he owe the King? Why wouldn't he hear me out?

I voiced my burning thoughts as I stared at the doors, "Why was this the only way? Why does my brother believe that bringing me back here was the only way to save our family?"

I heard Speerburn release a heavy sigh from behind me.

I turned around to face him. "Tell me what the deal was. What did Alexander promise you?"

The King watched me.

       No, he lazily admired me with a small grin. "Just when did you become so fierce, little Dove? Where has the quiet and polite Cross girl gone?"

I only stared at him.

Speerburn's cheek wrinkled as he smiled fondly, "Your brother knew my deepest desire. He knew what I longed for, who I was passionate towards..."

         My heart sank.

"And he knew that giving her to me, would not only benefit his entire family, but also ensure that she have a long life of luxury and protection."

No. Alexander didn't.

Speerburn stood from his grand chair, and took slow steps towards me. "He was actually quite the negotiator, so desperate to secure his sibling's success and safety. And he was smart enough to know what it would cost him. Or who."

        He reached forward, cradling my cold hand in his own. We both knew that he didn't need to say anything more.

The answer was clear.

Alexander had promised me to the King in return for our family's future, protections, and careers within the Kingdom.

My heart pounded in my chest at the revelation. I was shocked. I didn't want to believe it, yet it all made sense.

It's why he dragged me back here. No matter how much I begged him, pleaded for him to believe me. It wasn't about him trusting me, or trusting that I truly was Bron's Mate.

He needed to bring me back to Mainland to hold up his end of the deal.

A shaky breath left my lips.