13. The Interview

"Are you working tomorrow?" I jumped at Luke's sentence, having not been expecting him to speak so suddenly. The movie was nearing its end, and I was actually surprised the two of us had managed to get through it without talking.

We were even still on our own ends of the couch, though that was partly because October had hopped up and made herself comfortable in the space between us. Not that I really cared. Luke and I might be trying to get past the problems we had, but I didn't need cuddling to be added to the mix just yet. I wasn't extremely comfortable with physical touch right now. Not when it came to him. Hugs were fine when they were necessary, but anything else would have to wait.

"Well, it's Sunday tomorrow, so I only work from eight to twelve. Feeding the animals and such. Nothing exciting." I explained. Luke nodded, seeming lost in thought for a brief moment.

"Do you want to get lunch with me after work? Our interview is at eleven, I think." I couldn't help but chuckle at that.

"You still can't remember the times people give you, can you?" I teased. Luke smiled at me, shrugging helplessly.

"Nope. And mum hasn't been on our tours in a few years. I don't know how we manage to get anywhere on time, to be honest."  He admitted. I shook my head.

"Miracles do happen, I suppose." I replied. "And, speaking of your mom, how is she?" Luke frowned slightly, and for a moment I thought I had offended him by asking. 

"I think she gets lonely when I'm away. Ben and Jack are long gone, and though they visit sometimes, I don't think it's enough. I try to hang out with her as much as I can when I'm here, but the band's schedule is crazy most of the time and it's hard." He explained. I nodded, frowning slightly. Liz was the mom I wished I had. Caring, supportive, and always there for you if you needed her. So, hearing that she was lonely made me sad.

"Maybe I'll visit her every so often, take her out to lunch or something." I offered. Luke's lips tilted up in a slight smile of appreciation.

"I think she'd like that."

————

I was just locking the doors to the shelter when my phone began to ring. After a few moments of digging through my purse to find the device that was playing the chorus to Sugar, We're Goin' Down. Luke's name lit up on the screen when I finally got a hold of my phone.

"Hello?" I questioned as I headed towards the bus stop.

"Please don't be mad." I rolled my eyes at Luke's words. What had he done? It most likely had something to do with our lunch date, which, by the sounds of it, was about to be canceled.

"What am I not supposed to be mad about, Luke?" I practically groaned, sitting down on the bus stop bench. There was a pause before he spoke again.

"I got the time of the interview mixed up." He admitted. Figures. I was about to tell him it was alright when he spoke again. "But it's okay! I'm already on my way to pick you up from the shelter, so you can come with me!" No more than a few moments after he spoke, I saw the bus round the corner. "Don't you get on that bus, Daeyna." Luke warned. I frowned, wondering how he knew that the bus was here, but my question was answered when I saw the car driving right behind it. I sighed.

"See you in a second, I guess." I said before hanging up on him.

Luke wasn't the only person in the car when he pulled up. As soon as I saw the two girls sitting in the back seat of the car, my eyes widened in surprise. The two girls clambored over each other to get out of the car, and as soon as both pairs of feet were on the ground, the three of us embraced in a hug that consisted of more squealing and jumping than I'd care to admit.