28. And On The Third Day.....

It wasn't until my phone started ringing for the third time that I actually got up, groaning lightly. It was Katie. It was as if the mere sight of her name jogged my memory.

"Shit!" I exclaimed, flinging the covers from my body. October let out a squeak of surprise as she was suddenly enfolded in my bed spread, but I wasn't paying much attention to her.

It was Wednesday, and I was supposed to be at work. A quick glance at the clock on my wall told me I was about a half hour late. We were supposed to be starting surgeries in like forty-five minutes.

"Scrubs, scrubs, scrubs." I murmured as I rummaged through my clean laundry basket. Once I located the maroon articles of clothing, I grabbed them and dashed into the bathroom. The shower I took was probably the shortest one I'd ever taken in my entire life. The shampoo and conditioner were barely in my hair for longer than five seconds before I rinsed them out, and the same went for my body wash. I didn't even have time to inhale the delicious apple scent before I was rinsing myself and shutting off the shower.

After running a brush through my hair quickly, I braided it, secured it, and put lotion on my face. I put a jacket on over my scrubs just in case I got cold during the day, slipped my feet into socks, then shoes, and dumped a fairly large amount of food into October's dish as an apology for being late in her feeding. Then, I grabbed my purse, phone, and keys and ran out the door.

--

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry for being late!" I exclaimed as I rushed into the back of the animal shelter. Katie looked up from where she was wiping down the surgery table, frowning.

"You feeling alright? Headaches last week, falling asleep at work. It's not like you." She questioned. Though she wasn't entirely wrong, I doubted I was having some sort of medical crisis.

"Yeah, I'm fine." I breathed, throwing my purse into my office before returning to help her set up for surgeries.

"Really? Because you forgot to put eyeliner on one eye." She said. I felt my jaw drop open at that.

"Oh my God. Really?" I squealed, rushing towards the window so I could see my reflection. "That's so-" I stopped when I saw that I didn't even have eyeliner on, realizing I hadn't put any makeup other than foundation on. I could see Katie's reflection behind me, laughing. "Ha, ha." I deadpanned, turning to give her an unamused look. "You're so hilarious."

"Had to do something to get you back for making me clean everything in this room on my own." She shot back, shrugging. I gave her an apologetic look once more.

"I really am sorry for that, you know. Must not have set my alarm right."

--

"Despite being late to work, I still have this to give you." Katie announced as I took a bite of the sandwich I had bought at the little diner down the road. It was lunch time, and boy could I not be more relieved. I had been starving all throughout the surgeries. So much so, in fact, that even Dr. Ventri made a comment on how my stomach was growling loud enough to be heard over the beeping of the heartbeat monitor. I took the wrapped present from my friend, smiling.

"You got me a present?" I asked. "You know the party is in like three days, right?" I added to my question. Katie shrugged.

"Yeah, but this one couldn't wait, considering you'll have to wear it to the park. Can't have you changing in the center of the party, now can we?" She quipped. I laughed, ripping open the colorful paper.

"Oh my God, this shirt is amazing!" I laughed, holding up the short sleeved top Katie had gotten me. It was light blue, and in large, navy letters were the words 'OFFICIALLY LEGAL WORLDWIDE'. Underneath the words was the silhouette of a pint made out of several flags of various countries. Katie grinned at me.