22. Growing Up

"It was so pretty! And oh my God, the chairs were really comfortable. If I could afford to go there all the time, I totally would." I gushed, looking at the computer screen in front of me. Kendra and Wyatt's video feeds were splitting my screen in half as I Skyped them about my date with Luke yesterday night. Kendra grinned at me.

"I'm just gonna call it right now. You're gonna marry this guy, Dae-bird." She announced. Wyatt nodded.

"For once I actually agree with Kendra. I like the direction this relationship is going in." He agreed. I couldn't help but blush at their comments.

I hadn't even gotten to the actual cute parts of the date, like the ice cream thing or holding his hand. Though, I guess they probably already knew. Pictures had shown up all over the internet almost as soon as they were taken. The girl from the restaurant must have taken a few while we were inside too, because there were even a few of us at our table.

My favorite picture was one that had been snapped by a phone or something as we were getting back into Luke's car. I had tripped on the curb, and since I was holding Luke's hand, I ended up pulling him with me as I fell into the side of the car. This picture was taken in the moments after, when he was laughing at me. My hand was shoving his shoulder, and I was turning away from him. Despite my somewhat annoyed face (though there was a small amount of amusement in my eyes), Luke's head was thrown back in laughter. 

"That makes three of us, then." I said, smiling. "Now, back to the story. So, when we got the menus--"

--------

I spent most of my morning talking to Kendra and Wyatt, barely even finishing my story of the date before I had to log off Skype so I could get ready for work at noon. 

I wasn't even clocked in at work before I began to wish I'd just livestreamed telling my friends about my date with Luke. Even the older ladies who worked at the shelter were curious about my night with the 'famous guy' as they'd dubbed him. 

"Yeah, I have a surgery to get to, sorry." I muttered as I was asked yet another question by one of the women who cleaned the floors every other weekend. I didn't stick around to hear her reaction before plowing through the doors towards the back of the building. 

"Whoa, you look a bit stressed." I turned to see Katie standing in the hallway, folding a load of blankets. I sighed with relief. Out of everyone at the shelter, Katie had been the one who didn't ask me any questions, despite the fact that we'd seen each other several times in the few short hours I'd been here today.

"You have no idea." I agreed, stepping up beside her and grabbing a blanket to fold. "I almost feel like barricading myself in my office and whipping of a FAQ for everyone. It's like, no, he's not my boyfriend. Yes, we were on a date. Yes, we held hands. No, I only kissed him on the cheek when he dropped me off at home." I complained. Katie merely laughed, picking up the last blanket.

"Ah, the life of a famous person. Maybe you should be like that one television show. What was it called? Hannah something?" She quipped. I joined in on her laughter.

"It's Hannah Montana, and no, I don't think that'd ever work. Even if I wanted it to." I countered. "Besides, I don't want to be famous. It just comes with Luke, I guess. His fans are protective of him and the band, so even though I've known him for a while, they still watch our every move and want to know what's up."

"And apparently so does everyone else, hm?" Katie added, giving me a small smile. "I heard Jasmine and Kelsey asking about some pictures of you last night. And I know for a fact that they don't listen to bands like 5SOS."

"Yeah they had pictures from when Luke stopped to say hi to a fan after we had ice cream." I clarified. "Don't remember what the question was, though." We both picked up a pile of folded blankets and moved them to the shelves where they belonged. "You in surgery today? I can tell you about the date while we prep. Because, unlike everyone else here, you know about Luke and I and the bumps we've had in the past. And because I know you're just dying to find out what happened."

As we prepped the surgery room (multiple times, it required prepping after each surgery), I told Katie everything I told Kendra and Wyatt. Though, this time around, there were far fewer interruptions. The only time I had to pause to clarify and answer a few questions was when I got to describing the end of the date, when I kissed Luke on the cheek. 

He'd walked me to my door, and when we were saying goodbye, he pulled me in for a hug instead of leaning down to kiss me. I was appreciative of the gesture, not one hundred percent sure if I was ready to kiss him just yet. So, when we pulled away from each other, I gave my own gesture of affection, letting my lips lightly peck him on the cheek. He had been surprised, though it was a good surprised. But that had been it. No steamy make-out sessions or baby-making activities like Kendra had been convinced there would be.

Katie agreed with Wyatt and Kendra in regards to liking how Luke and I were getting along so well. She even added that it seemed like both of us had done a lot of growing up. Not just in the past four years, but in the past month or so, since we began talking again. We'd learned how to deal with our former issues and talk about them without yelling, crying, or any sort of irritation and immaturity. We moved past them, and instead of trying to pick up where we left off, we realized that it wasn't likely to work out unless we put effort in building a friendship first.

And it had worked.

////////

Woot!

Sorry this is sort of a filler chapter. I felt like we all needed a breather from the events of the past two chapters, you know? Give us some time to catch our breath and cool off a bit before moving on.

But everything is sunny and cloudless in Daeyna-Luke-Land (not really sure what their ship mane is. Haven't seen any comments about it tbh) Keep your umbrellas close, though, because weather is unpredictable!

On an unrelated note, I'd like to thank those of you who liked/watched/commented/subscribed to my youtube channel. It means a lot to me to know you enjoyed my video. Imma try to keep regular updates on it, and it should be fairly easy because, unlike writing chapters, it literally takes a few minutes to record a cover. It's the learning part tat takes a while. My next video should be another 5sos song, though! I'm trying to get She's Kinda Hot in a somewhat presentable shape, but if I can't, I've got a medley of some of my fave 5sos songs that I'll post. We'll see.

Hope you all are having a wonderful week! (you'll notice there isn't a 1 year celebration post here. That's because I haven't gotten any new responses to write. So.....)

Love ya' to bits and I'll see you next time!