Mother Mother

Flossie and Jean flipped through a photo book, surveying the Newt family tree as their new pet, Mittens the caterpillar, napped on Flossie's bed. "It's cool that you have this family of frogs in your book! And they're not even related by marriage OR blood! It's all thanks to your great great great grandma Emma! It goes to show you don't have to be related to be family!" Jean commented, looking through all the portraits of the Harveston family.

Flossie hummed in reply. The human let the book fall to her lap, looking down at the axolotl in concern. "Hey, what's wrong Floss?" She asked.
Flossie sighed angrily. "It's just- there are no axolotl's in this book! They're all frogs and newts! I just...wanna know where exactly I came from." She muttered the last part, looking away. Jean went silent, slowly turning the pages. The axolotl was right. There was no sign of any axolotl.
Putting the book down, she scooched over to Flossie, placing an arm around the axolotl. "Hey, it'll be ok. I'm sure Pebbs has an explanation-"
"She said she found me on her doorstep. No name or anything, like I appeared out of thin air." She interrupted, drawing her knees to her chest. Jean was at a loss for words.
Silently standing up, she let out a sigh. "I guess it's time to put these away." She stated. Lifting a scrapbook to place it back on the shelf, a small package fell out, dropping to the floor.
The two girls stared at it for a moment. "What's that?" Jean asked curiously. The axolotl didn't answer, getting up from the bed and picking it up. "I...don't know." She replied, slowly opening the envelope. (CUE THE INTRO! I'm sorry-)

The two girls sat on the bed once more, as Flossie opened the envelope. Inside were portraits. The axolotls eyes widened as she sifted through the photos, all filled with one axolotl. Some had Pebbs, smiling with the axolotl as they cuddled. The albino stared in wonder at the photos. "Who... is she?" She wondered aloud. They finally reached the last photo, and Flossie gasped, shocked.
It was the same axolotl, but this time, she held a small bundle in her arms. Although she was young, the big fluffy hair was unmistakable.
"WHAT AM I DOING IN THE PHOTO?!" Flossie yelled, pulling her hair in disbelief. Jean gently took the portrait, inspecting the drawing. "I don't know, it could be anyone-" she tried to settle the now excited axolotl, who was pacing the room. "This could be my mum! I could finally meet my real mother! Would she remember me?? Do you think she likes magic too?? We can have a girls day!" She squealed, a wide grin on her face. Gasping, she stopped pacing, a thought crossing her mind. "Why would my mum hide these?!"
Jean knew she meant Pebbs. The human shrugged nervously, looking down at the photos. "I don't know, it must've been for a good reason..." she muttered, scratching the back of her neck. Flossie looked through the photos once again, squinting at it for a moment. "I know this place...the portrait was drawn near Wartwood! A little cottage!"
Jean stared at the scrapbook, noticing the portrait of Pebbs holding a toddler Flossie. Something didn't sit right with her. Pebbs HAD to be keeping the secret from Flossie for a reason.
The axolotl was marching toward the door, and Jean rushed after her. "Wait, where are you going Floss?!"

"I'm going to meet my mother!" She yelled, flinging the front door open and running into the woods. Jean paused for a moment, pointing to the caterpillar. "Stay put, Mittens! We'll be right back-" with that, she chased after the axolotl child.

Flossie had paused in her running, looking off into the distance as she waited for Jean to catch up. She was still clutching the photo of her and the unknown axolotl, and she had a huge smile on her face.
"So, where exactly are we going?" Jean asked, finally beside the excited amphibian. "The outskirts of Wartwood, a humble little town that are slow to accept, and even slower to respect! We actually found you not far from there."
All the human replied with was "ah", as she looked down at the axolotl in concern, but didn't say anything.
"Now let's go! We haven't got all day!" Flossie exclaimed, marching ahead. Jean followed close behind, knowing she'd have to help the axolotl through the journey.

———————