Quarreler's Pass

Hop Pop drove the fwagon up the mountains, Anne by his side holding a map. She points to a spot on the map. "Hey, looks like we're almost halfway to Newtopia, HP." The human states. Hop Pop chuckles. "Yep! We're making good time."
Folding up the map, Anne gives Hop Pop an almost robotic grin. "I gotta say, this trip has been a lot smoother than I thought it'd be." She says. Hop Pop nods in agreement, never taking his eyes off the road as he returns the smile. "Yep!"
"But the one thing I'd change..."
"The only thing I'd change..."

Loud yelling erupted from the fwagon, followed by loud crashing noises.
"Stop pushing me!" Sprig yells angrily. "You stop pushing me!" Polly spat back. Flossie could be heard groaning loudly. "Would you two please quiet down? Jean is asleep! And you two are being LOUD!"

"Iiiiiiis that." Hop Pop finishes, as Polly scoffs at Flossie. "We're being loud? Have you heard yourself? GET THAT STUPID STUFF OUT OF MY FACE!" She screams at Sprig.
Sprig folds his arms. "Well, sorry for showing you all this cool moss I found!" He states.

A yelp of pain could be heard within the fwagon as Polly hits him. "Ow! What was that for?!"
"I saw a punch bug! Punch bug!" Hitting him again, the two siblings tackle each other. And with Flossie yelling at them, it sounded like she was about to join the two in their brawl.

"Two weeks of nonstop arguing really starting to wear on me." Anne says tiredly. "I don't know how Jean can sleep through that..."
"At least they're keeping it in the fwagon this time." Hop Pop mutters.

That relief was short-lived, however, when Sprig, Polly, and Flossie all burst through the door, landing on the drivers seat. Taking in a deep breath, Polly, wearing her brothers hat, imitates Sprig's voice.
"Look everyone, I'm Sprig! Look at all this dumb moss I found!" Throwing some moss in Hop Pop's face. She starts yelling into her grandfather's ears as she continues to imitate her brother.
Sprig glares at her. "Oh yeah?" He spat as he climbs into Anne's hair. "Well, I'm Polly! And I decided we're all playing punch bug!" He yells in Polly's voice. Hitting Anne in the face, he repeats his statement.
Flossie puts her head in her hands. "Why can't you just be quiet for a day!? Jean needs her sleep, and you guys are-"
She's cut off when Sprig and Polly snicker. "I'm Flossie, and I want everyone to be quiet but me! Ra ra ra!" Polly impersonates Flossie's voice perfectly.
The axolotl gasps. "I am NOT that loud!" She yells loudly. Sprig began to laugh. "Ooh look at me! I'm NOT YELLING AT ALL!" He shouts in Flossie's voice at the top of his lungs.
With an angry yell, Flossie pounces on the unsuspecting pink frog. The two start rolling around on the fwagon roof. Polly soon joins them, jumping into the fight with a war cry.

Anne and Hop Pop stare ahead for a minute, as they tried to ignore the fighting amphibian children. "This is incredibly annoying but I have to say, their impressions of each other are spot on." The teen spoke up. The elderly frog nodded. "Yep, always had a knack for that." He responded.
"Oh, I don't think I can take two more weeks of this. If only there were some way to get them to stop fighting!" Anne said in despair.

Hop Pop spotted something up ahead. Pulling hard on Bessie's reins, he brings her to a stop in front of an unusual fork in the road.
"What the heck, dude? I almost bit my tongue!"
"Shh! Look!" The elderly frog pointed at the sign and the road ahead. The children, who'd all stopped fighting at this point, stared curiously at the sign.

""Quarreler's Pass. A road to reconciliation for weary travel-mates." Okay, so what?" Polly read. Flossie and Sprig share a quick glance. "Guys, you don't think they're gonna-" Sprig started, but was cut off as Hop Pop and Anne both kicked the three kids off the fwagon.

"What!?"
"You're seriously leaving us here?!"
"This is cruel!"

Hop Pop waved them off. "Aw, quit your bellyaching." He said, flipping the sign to show the trio a map. "It says right here that the paths meet up eventually!"
Anne pulls at her hair. "Your fighting is driving us nuts! You brought this upon yourselves!" She states, exasperated.

Polly hits her brother. "This is all Sprig's fault for being so zippy and obnoxious all the time!" She complained. He immediately hits her back, turning to her angrily. "Me? You're the one who's punching everyone!"
"No, you are!"
"No, you are!"
Flossie folds her arms. "I don't see why I have to go. Those two started it all!" She whined. Polly and Sprig gasp, turning to her. "You're the noisiest one amongst us!" Polly shouts angrily.
"Am not!"
"Are too!"
"Am not!"
"ARE TOO!"

Hop Pop nods, barely listening. "Mm-hmm. See you kids on the other side and good luck!" He's about to drive off, when Anne passes Sprig her phone. "Here. If you get in trouble, just call me."
The two flee with the fwagon on the safe path. The trio watch them go, shocked. They really just left three kids alone.
But then again, this was Amphibia.

Sprig looks between the phone and the disappearing fwagon. ""Call me"? I don't get it." He mutters, pocketing his friend's device.
The three amphibians glance further down their own path, the wind whistling eerily in the quiet atmosphere. Polly groaned. "Let's just get this over with."
Turning to Sprig and Flossie, she trips them both before running away. "Try to keep up, slowpokes!"

Sprig grabs his sisters tail, tossing her behind him. "Oh, no you don't!" With that, he charges forward. Flossie and Polly chase after him, the axolotl tackling him to the ground.

——

The three continue to hit each other as they walk along the path. Bumping into a sign, Sprig holds his sore head as his sister reads it.
"The Beam of Balance?"

In front of them lay a log over a large canyon. They looked down at the drop below them. At the bottom of the cliff lay spikey rocks. Polly chuckles. "More like the beam of... race you across!" She yells, colliding into Flossie. Jumping onto the log, she zooms ahead of the pink frog and axolotl.

Flossie raced after her. "Hey! Get back here you little-" she lets out a yelp as the log underneath her starts moving, almost causing her to slip and fall.
Polly, however, did fall, and she cried out to her brother to save her. Sprig uses his tongue to catch her, holding her in his mouth. The trio are silent for a minute as they cling to the log for dear life. "Thanks." Polly finally mutters, as her brother spits her out beside them.

"Polly, I think we're supposed to go across slowly." He explains, getting on all fours and begins to slowly tip-toe across. Flossie and Polly follow his lead, and the pollywog notices how long the log is. She lets out an angry sigh.

"Okay. This works. Yeah. Slow and steady..." Sprig mumbles to himself. Flossie also lets out a sigh. "This is gonna take forever..." she states. Sprig turns to her. "Do you have a better idea?" He asks.
The axolotl looks down at the spikes below. "Uh...no...." She finally answers quietly. Polly waves her hand. "I do! Let's just jump!" She exclaims.
Sprig looks over at the other side of the canyon skeptically. "Jump? I can't make that, it's wider than Croaker's Creek!" He says. Flossie nods in agreement. "Yeah, and I can't jump as far as you frogs, remember?"
Polly begins to laugh. "Oh, yeah. Frogs, axolotls. Hey Sprig, remember when you tried to jump over Croaker's Creek?" She cackled. Sprig grimaces at the memory. "Yeah, don't remind me."

"What happened at Croaker's Creek?" Flossie asks curiously. Polly wiped a tear from her eye as she continues to giggle. "He landed right on a cactus flower!" Flossie began to laugh to, imagining the spikes sticking out of the pink frog.
"All those spikes sticking out of his-" Polly gasps, as if recalling something. "Wait! Remember Croaker's Creek?"

Sprig scowls at his sister. "Yeah! I don't wanna talk about it!" He states angrily. Polly ignores his harsh tone as she continued.
"No, no! There was a rickety bridge, remember? And the only way we got across was..."
"The walk-and-roll! Polly, you're a flipping genius!" Sprig gasps, waving his arms around excitedly. The trio strain to keep themselves upright as the log rolls under them. "Forgot where I was." The pink frog chuckles nervously.

Flossie stares at the two siblings, confused. "What's the walk-and-roll?" She asks. Polly and Sprig share a look, realising their plan might not be so great after all.
"Well, we stack on top of one another, and as we walk Polly rolls on our arms to help keep balance. The only problem is we've only done it with just the two of us..." Sprig explained.

The axolotl hums, thinking. "What if you two balance on top of me? I've walked across my fair share of rickety bridges." She chuckles. Polly shrugs. "We could give it a shot."
"Good. Because we only have one shot at this."

Allowing Sprig to climb onto her back, Flossie helps Polly onto her brothers shoulders before standing up. Stretching out her arms to keep balance, she glances up at the two frogs. "You guys ready?"
"Let's roll! And walk." Polly states.

The axolotl starts walking. Almost immediately, the log rolls underneath her. Letting out a yelp, she struggles to keep her balance. "Okay! Okay! Left!"
Polly pulls on her brothers hat, helping keeping all three balanced as they make progress across the log.
"Right! Left! Right!"
Sprig and Polly lean to the left and right on command, keeping all three balanced. Eventually, the three make it to the other side of the canyon, jumping onto solid ground.

"We're alive!" Flossie cheers, throwing her arms in the air. The two frog siblings cheer with her, as the trio get to their feet. "Now, let's breeze through this thing so we can slap Hop Pop!" Polly encouraged.
"I support that!"
"So do I!"
"Wonder how those three are holding up without us." Sprig wonders, scratching his chin in thought.

——

Back at the fwagon, all was quiet. Save for the gentle howl of the wind and Jean's quiet snores coming from within the moving vehicle.
Anne was leaning back, eyes closed as she rested her arms behind her head. Hop Pop let out a relieved sigh.
"Finally. Peace and quiet."