Combat Camp

Hop Pop whistled an upbeat tune as he rode Bessie with five very grumpy children. "I still can't believe you're bringing us to a daycare, Hop Pop." Sprig groaned, crossing his arms. "Look, I'm sorry, okay? But I have to go to the Annual Crop Convention. It's a long ways away, and I can't leave you kids on the farm alone for the weekend." Hop Pop stated. Every groaned, crossing their arms. Polly pointed to Jean and Flossie, who was with them. "Then what are they doing here? They don't have to suffer with us." She asked.

Jean let out an annoyed sigh. "Pebbs is going to be joining Hop Pop, and we got into too much trouble last time, apparently. Now Pebbs won't leave us alone for more than an hour." She grumbled.
Flossie had a flashback to when Pebbs had gone out, and they'd found a small caterpillar. Jean had decided to bring it in and take care of it, which resulted in the small critter trashing the place. Returning to her book she'd brought for entertainment, she tried to zone everyone out.
"Ugh, are you kidding me?" Anne groaned, throwing her hands in the air dramatically.
"Wish I was, Anne. But you kids need supervision. Why, sometimes it feels like we have at least two wacky adventures a week!"

Approaching a large castle, Hop Pop brought Bessie to a stop. "Here we are!" He announced. The front door opened, and out stepped a green salamander. "Greetings. I am Tritonio Espada, the instructor of this daycare." He greeted, giving a little bow. Hop Pop scratched his chin, a little confused. "Huh, I though Briar and Iris Bogwater ran this place..." he muttered
"The Bogwaters retired last year and sold their business to me." The salamander explained. Hop Pop accepted this explantation, smiling brightly as he introduced himself and the children. "Well in that case, I'm Hopadiah Plantar. This here is Sprig, Polly, Flossie, Jean and Anne." Polly blew a raspberry, while Jean just gave the teacher a lazy salute. "These two may be gigantic, but they're also children."
"Hey!"
"I'm not a child! I'm almost an adult!" Jean protested, as Hop Pop shushed them. "Not while under my roof." He replied. Even though she knew the argument was ridiculous, she couldn't bring herself to argue further.
The salamander nodded understandingly, walking toward the small family. "Ah, yes. I shall educate them! Teach them true discipline!" He announced. Hop Pop was thrilled about this news. "Oh, I like your jib, Mr. Tray-tony. Did I say that right?"
"Absolutely not."
Anne rolled her eyes as she hopped off Bessie, Jean soon following as she put a still reading Flossie on her shoulders.
Sprig looked up at the tower. "This isn't so bad, I guess. There is a cool tower." He said, gesturing to it. Anne shook her head. "You guys don't get it. And Tritonio's a teacher, an enemy of all that is good." She stated, glancing over her shoulder at the salamander. "Uh, what's so bad about teachers?" Sprig asked, perplexed.
"Let's just say, me and them don't mix."

(Flashback)

"Okay, so you carry the three and-" the teacher let out a sigh as video game noises could be heard throughout the room. "Not again." He muttered.
Anne had a book covering her face, the noises continuing as the teacher suddenly lifts the book, revealing the gameboy in Anne's hand.
Realising she'd been caught, she abruptly stood up from her chair, running from the room. "You'll never take me alive!"
"Anne! Anne, get back here!"

(End flashback)

"Teachers. They just don't like me. Probably 'cause they're jealous of my carefree spirit." Anne boasted.
Jean scoffed. "I swear, if this teacher is like the ones back home, then I'm ditching this place." She muttered. Polly groaned. "Ok, what's your complaint?"

(Flashback)

Jean sat in her classroom, minding her own business when a piece of paper was thrown her way, hitting her in the head. Glaring at the snickering kids, she tossed the garbage in the bin beside her, not bothering to check if it was a note.
The teacher came in, carrying his computer. "Alright class, we'll be presenting today. And first up is....Jean."
Jean paled, remembering the powerpoint she was meant to finish and hand in today. "Uh-um...sir? I need a little more time....may I have this class to work?"
The teacher stared at her in disappointment, sighing in frustration. "I wonder how you'll ever survive in this world, Jean."
The other students snickered, as Jean slouched lower in her seat.

(End flashback)

"Ooh, yikes." Sprig muttered, as Flossie pat Jean's head comfortingly.
"Well, kids, looks like you're in good hands here with Mr. Tritonio." Hop Pop stated, urging Bessie to go. "Hyah! Crop Con, here I come!"
As he faded into the distance, Mr. Tritonio turned to the kids. "Finally. It is just us now. So let us cast aside these illusions, yes?" With that, he ripped off his disguise, letting his hair blow in the wind for a moment as the children stared at him in awe. Even Flossie looked up to stare.
"And this is no mere daycare. This is a Combat Crash Course for kids!" Kicking the sign, he revealed the other side had a pollywog holding a mace, yelling a war cry.
Sprig, Polly and Flossie cheered, while Jean glared suspiciously at the teacher.