Chapter 9

Two days later, Collin loaded up a truck he had full of supplies. Food, medicine, and even toys, and clothes. Kayla had Rudy in his bundle and got into the passenger side seat. The village was only a short drive away. It was a collection of small trailers and even a few huts. They could have easily passed it by; it was set off the road and a few clusters of trees boarded it.
Collin drove along the main road that wound through the village.
Many people were walking by and greeting each other.
People he knew.
The place was peaceful, yet still bustling. People talking, kids running around playing games, laughing.
Kayla watched with wonder. She wondered if she had ever seen kids so genuinely happy. When she was young and would play in the yard area in the prison, the happiness felt fake and constricted. Here, kids were running up to the truck after it was parked, laughing, screaming, and racing with the other kids as they played, their faces filled with joy.
Her smile was shy but sincere. She missed that feeling of freedom. That feeling of being able to just run around freely, doing as she pleased without anyone telling her what to do or how to behave.

Collin reached into the bed of the truck and pulled out a box of treats; powdered juice, candy, and snacks to give away. The kids took candy treats. A few adults gathered around and took the food and medical supplies. Then, kids of all ages lined up to pet Rudy. Collin told Kayla everyone's names.
"The kid with the bow is Samuel. I helped his hunting party take out a croc that was too close to the village." Stopping, Collin picked up a toddler-aged girl with braids.

"And this is Colleen. Her parents decided to name her after me because I delivered her."
"No way!" Kayla said.
"It's true. Her mum was in labor and they had to choose between me at the outpost or the dangerous drive to the main base. They chose me."

"That sounds scary. But it seems your job here saved their lives," Kayla said.
"Thanks."
Colleen smiled at Kayla and put a beaded necklace around her neck.
"It's pretty! Thank you, sweetie." Kayla said, kissing Colleen on the cheek.
Before everyone knew it, it was time for Collin to pack back up and head back to the outpost.
Collin glanced at Kayla as he drove. She gazed out the truck window.
"Everything okay?" He asked softly. She turned towards him.
"Yeah. Everything is good." She replied. He gave a half-shrug. She smiled lightly.
He parked the truck.
Kayla climbed out as he locked the doors and grabbed his bag.
"Do you want me to make dinner tonight will you?" Kayla asked, walking into the house.
"Sure. What kind of cook do you think I am?" Collin smirked, following behind her.
"Oh please," she laughed.
"What kind of cooking are you going to do?" Collin questioned.
"I don't know. What do you have?" She asked, heading into the kitchen.
"Um, well...I don't know, I guess we'll see...maybe pasta or something. We've got eggs, milk, meat, flour..."
"Pasta it is, then," Kayla said, starting on the food.
"You want some help?" Collin offered, leaning over the island and looking into the pot.
"Sure."
After dinner, they washed the dishes together. She sat on the edge of the counter and watched as Collin dried off the last plate, and put it away in its cupboard.
"You wanna go outside and look at stars?" Collin asked, putting the plates down.
"Of course!" Kaya replied smiling.
Night in the desert was often dark and clear. There were so many stars and the moon was so bright and beautiful.
He led her outside to the porch and laid out a blanket. She stared up at the sky as he lit a candle as he did.
They sat down together on the blanket. He sat next to her and they faced outwards.

"Wow..." She said under her breath.
"This is cool, isn't it?" Collin responded. She hummed a response. After a few moments, Collin reached for her hand. She took it cautiously but smiled warmly at him. Collin squeezed her hand gently.
"Thank you for everything. For letting me stay here and for taking care of me." She said, staring at him. He smiled. He wrapped his arm around her shoulders.
"You don't have to thank me. Just seeing you happy and safe makes it all worth it. This is the life I want for you," Collin whispered to her. She closed her eyes and leaned closer to him. She held onto his hand tightly.
He stroked a piece of hair out of her face and held her close. She rested her head against his chest. He held her for a long time before she stood.
"I'm going to bed. See you in the morning."
"See you in the morning." He agreed. They both went inside.
She changed, brushed her teeth, and put herself to bed. Collin followed suit.
He lay awake for some time, thinking about things. Eventually, he drifted off to sleep, his thoughts occupied with Kayla.