Chapter 28

They pulled up outside the garage.
The other four men came in, dragging Kayla and holding Collin's arms.
Kayla was crying but didn't make a sound.
Collin's heart broke.
"Hey! You're ruining all the good fun. It's not about you, hon." The man said to Kayla.

The bank vault was practically bombproof. Collin tried to size up the situation.
The man in camo followed behind him.
The biggest man held Kayla in a death lock. Collin breathed deeply as he made it to the steel door. He turned the key and looked at the other man. "Wait, a minute." He said. The other man sneered. "The door is heavy. Can you help me?" Collin asked, pointing to the larger man. The man let go of Kayla and set his gun down.

Collin had to get him as close to the door as possible. Collin unbolted the door. With a powerful shove, he slammed it into the man. He was squashed flat. Collin grabbed the gun.
"Run, Kayla!" He screamed. Her hair was pulled, and she kicked the man in the groin.

The man doubled over in pain. Kayla bolted past the two others.
"Get her!" The man yelled.
One of the men lunged at her.
She ran out of the bank and headed for the main house. They were shooting at her. Collin ran outside, screaming for Kayla. "Get in the house!" He yelled. He had to get as many guns as he could into the outpost to defend the town from the men.

The rest of the guys had left the outpost to get guns. Collin knew that would leave him vulnerable but there was no choice. As Collin stood in front of the door, he knew what he had to do. There were still six men left. He felt a bullet whiz by his head and ducked.

He made it to the house just steps behind Kayla.
"Stay down!" He yelled. Kayla hid under the counter.
He fired a few shots out of the window, ducking at the return fire.

The other men were coming. They heard Collin's rifle and knew they wanted to get inside before Collin fired more shots. The windows broke from the bullets. They were ten feet from the door.
The beam shot from the top of the house hit a man in the chest. Kayla ran to the basement where the bunker was. If anything happened to Collin, she was at least safe.

"We're coming in now!"
"Come get us!" Collin yelled back. He knew they weren't going to retreat. He needed more firepower.
The last man who stood outside the door was the leader. He was a large man with a large gun and large ammunition.

"Okay, we have to think of another strategy." He said. The man with the gold tooth stepped in, gun mirroring Collin's.
Kayla never saw the bullet. Her piercing scream made Collin run to her.

Collin turned her over. There was a red hole in her top. Collin gathered her in his arms. "Collin..." She whispered painfully. Kayla held onto him. A bolt of pain went through her. Her whole body convulsed.
She clutched at him desperately. The pain was too great. She fell limp. Collin stared at her pale skin. He shook his head furiously. "NO, NO. DON'T YOU DARE LEAVE ME, KAYLA!!" He screamed hoarsely. Collin kissed her forehead.

"Hold on Kayla!"He held her to him. She was warm in his arms. He kissed her on her forehead and apologized.

The men were still outside. Collin knew he had to think up a plan or they'd both be dead. He had to get Kayla somewhere she'd be safe and give him a chance to respond. Collin picked her up and raced to the basement as bullets flew over his head. If Kayla was going to survive, he had to keep her safe. As he ran down the stairs, he could feel her weight and how she was getting heavier in his arms. He almost tripped over his feet.

Kayla let out a sound of pain as Collin set her on the cot. Her blood was on his T-shirt. Rudy rested his paws on the edge of the cage at the commotion.

"Kayla, move your hand....please..." Collin pleaded as he saw the blood running between her fingers. He turned her hand over with the other one and felt the gaping wound between her fingers.

The bullet had torn into Kayla's shoulder. There wasn't much time.
"Kayla..." He couldn't speak. He kissed her hand. It was still warm.
"I'm so sorry..." He said as he wrapped his arms around her.
"I have to try and stop the bleeding. Please don't go....please." He begged. His face was covered in tears and snot. "Please..please.....stay with me....please..." His hands cupped her face, trying to comfort her.
Kayla didn't say anything.