Chapter 31

Collin picked her up as gently as he could. He carried her out of the bunker. Rudy looked up from the cot.

"Sorry, little mate. You stay here and watch the house. There's a little girl at the village who'll look after you."

He carried Kayla outside. The outback was quiet. Collin had never seen it so, even the birds had stopped chirping. He laid Kayla down on the seat of the truck. Collin felt something else too, something different. The world was filled with a new kind of fear. The fear of the unknown.

He closed the door of the truck. Kayla looked at him.
"I'm just getting some supplies and then we'll go." He said desperately.

Collin ran back inside grabbing the first aid kit, the battery charger, enough water for a few days, bandages, a knife, a shovel, a few flares, lead shot keeps, and a rifle. He grabbed the machine gun as he ran, slamming the door. Kayla seemed alert, but then she looked at the gun.

"The road isn't safe." He knew they would be traveling alone. There was safety in numbers but they didn't have that option. He wanted her safe. The road wasn't safe anymore, no one was safe.

Kayla wasn't dead; Collin had been careful. There was still hope for her. He covered her with the blanket, put the vehicle into gear, and drove as fast as it would go. The sun was setting. Her face was deathly pale.

"Hang on, Kayla.....just hang on." It was a long stretch of emptiness. Rusted vehicles and abandoned or active campsites dotted the sides of the road. Graves popped up here and there. Potholes broke up the asphalt. In some areas, there was nothing. Collin kept driving. The land had a lasting effect on a man. A man could go crazy here. He knew that better than anyone.

The night sky was clear. Everything looked different down here. He was in a strange place. Kayla was weak.

Collin turned the wheel and headed for the northwest. He wanted to get away from the road, the desert, and the terrors. He'd head west as soon as possible.

Collin fought with the wheel, swearing at the brutality of the road. He was focused on getting to the main road, praying that there were no other dangers he had to face.
It had been just over an hour. Kayla was taking shallow breaths. Collin was on the verge of panic, but kept a firm grip on the wheel, knowing he would have to find the strength to make it.

It was getting dark. He stopped the truck reluctantly; he had to keep the engine from overheating. Kayla's eyes fluttered open.

"Are we there?"

"Not yet. We'll get there. We just have to stop to let the truck rest."

She licked her dry lips with the tip of her tongue.
"Can I have some water?" She asked, hurt by the pain in her voice.
Collin held a bottle to her lips, letting her drink. She drank greedily. Kayla cried out when she moved. She lay against the seat. Collin gave her more morphine. He couldn't give her all she needed, not while she was awake. He let her rest, combing her hair with his fingers. He sighed; the terror of the truth was beginning to hit him.
Collin took a deep breath, trying to keep his voice steady. He tried to joke. She coughed weakly. The blood on her bandages had dried into a sickening dark brown.

"You're gonna be alright." He said in a daze.
He looked out into the dark; it was beginning to scare him. Collin looked back at Kayla and held her hand. He stroked her face. His eyes started to burn with tears.

"Just a little longer. I'm gonna get us to safety, I'm gonna make that happen. You're going to be alright." He took a white rag and soaked it with water. He washed her face. She whimpered and closed her eyes.
She smiled and touched his hand.

"Thank you, Collin."
He breathed a sigh of relief.

"Lay here and sleep. You need your rest." All he asked was that she made it until morning. It wasn't much, but it would be enough to save her.
"Hang on, baby. Help is on the way."
Kayla moaned, her eyes closing. She seemed to be fading fast.
"Help is coming, sweetie; you just hang on."
She smiled weakly. She rested her head against his shoulder.

"I wish we could have gotten married." He heard her say.

"We will. I'll marry you as soon as you get better." He promised. He took the beaded necklace off the rearview mirror and slid it on her neck.

"Consider this an engagement ring." He said, smiling as his heart was breaking.
"Wherever you go, I'll be there; and where you are, I'll be there too. You're the only one. I'd live and die for you." He whispered, feeling his heart cracking. It was his last promise to her. Kayla seemed to flicker with light.

He held her hand. She gasped, fighting the pain in her shoulder.

"I want to know one thing. Why did you help me?" Kayla asked. Her voice was growing softer and slower.

"You needed help. That's why."

"You gave me love," Kayla said, clutching his shirt. "You healed my soul."
Collin was at a loss for words, so he held her tight, hoping to give her some comfort. He bit his lip, trying to hold back the tears.
He loved her with every part of his being.
"You're the only person I've ever loved, Kayla. And you were the most important person in my life." He choked back a sob. "Don't leave me." He cried softly, holding her.

Kayla smiled. "I love you."

"I love you too." He kissed her cheek. He reached down for the keys and turned on the radio. Maybe he could get a signal.
His muscles were cramping.
He'd lost so many people. She was the first woman he'd cared about. She was family to him.

Kayla fell asleep. He started the truck again, hearing the engine rev to life, silently thankful that it still worked. He tried to call in, but the radio wasn't getting a signal.
He called back to the base. No one answered him.
"Damn it!" He cursed and started the truck again. "What the hell is wrong with this thing?!"
"God, help us please." He prayed, clenching his jaw. He put it in gear and floored the gas, trying to go faster.
He closed his eyes, feeling helpless, unable to help her.
Kayla didn't say anything. Her eyes slowly closed, and her breathing became deep and even. She looked peaceful. He kept his fingers on her neck, feeling her pulse. Her breath was ragged but steady.
He wiped his eyes and took another swig of water before putting the bottle down next to him. He pulled the blanket tighter around her body. She was cold. He looked at her.
He sat there, watching her. He was glad that she hadn't died. He was grateful that she was alive, if only because she needed his love now more than ever. If she died...Collin wouldn't survive.
There was nothing else he could do. He had given her all of himself. If she wasn't with him, he didn't know what he would do. He would die without her. He pulled down the road, hoping it would bring them closer to salvation.