Chapter 36

Kayla gasped for air, choking.
"Shh...." Collin hushed, holding her tight. "Easy. Take a few breaths."
She continued to cough, and her chest rose and fell quickly.
There was nothing more Collin could do.  They were running out of time.
Kayla finally stopped coughing. She was still wheezing, trying to regain her breath. Her eyes were barely open. "Collin.." she managed.
"Yeah?" Collin asked, wiping away the blood that dripped from her nose. "Yeah?"
"I love you...and so will the kids..."
Tears fell from Collin's eyes. "Me, too," he replied shakily.
"Promise?" She looked at him. "Promise you'll take care of them?"
"I promise," Collin said, kissing her forehead. "I promise."
"Good," Kayla said, closing her eyes. "Because I'm tired of being alone."
"I'm here, baby. I'm right here." Collin said, brushing her hair away from her face. "Please....you can't leave me, Kayla. We can make it...together."
"Collin," Kayla croaked. "I need you...so much."
"I am going to get you home...I promise." He said, wiping her tears.
Collin sat next to her, placing his head gently against hers. The truck rattled along the gravel, picking up speed.  It rumbled and creaked. The engine roared, the sound reverberating in Collin's ears.
"We're gonna make it. I promise, baby." Collin murmured into her hair. "We are safe, I swear. I'm not gonna ever let you go. I'll get you help...I'll save the kids.....please don't leave me."
The road ahead became empty.  No cars were coming. No trucks, nor buses. No sign of life. The whole world looked dead. 
It was so quiet that it felt unreal. Everything seemed so empty. Collin kept driving.
His mind went blank for a moment. Everything blurred together until there was only one thought: Save her. Protect her. Love her.

His hands trembled as he drove onto the highway. It was getting harder and harder to focus. He put his fingers on her neck, checking her pulse.
"Don't you dare die on me. I won't forgive myself if you do." He gripped the wheel tighter, his knuckles turning white.
"Don't worry, Kayla...." He mumbled. "I'll take care of everything...don't you worry about a thing...."
His hand moved to her chest, feeling it go rise and fall.
It was still there....at least....she hadn't died. Relief flooded through him.
He rubbed circles onto her palm.
She stirred slightly.
"Baby....wake up...Kayla....." His grip tightened on her hand as he stared at her. She blinked repeatedly. He looked at her, running his hand through her sweat-dampened hair. The truck bounced along, its tires screeching. Collin fought the urge to look at the gas gauge. It was barely going forty miles per hour. He was afraid to pull over because he knew they wouldn't make it.
Collin's stomach churned. He prayed that Kayla would hang on long enough. They were maybe halfway there. How much longer would Kayla stay alive?

She started coughing. He gave her some more water. Pain was coming in spasms from the wound in his side. It was oozing blood. He tried to hide the pain with a grimace, trying not to cry out loud. It hurt so much...
Collin squeezed his eyes shut, forcing himself to keep driving. Every bump and every pothole caused a sharp stab of pain in his ribs.

"Come on. Come on....you can do it...." He said.
They weren't far now.  They had to keep moving. They would be there soon.
Kayla coughed again, and Collin watched her struggle to breathe.
"Hey...." He said. "Look at me," He gently lifted her chin so he could see her face. She opened her eyes. "We're almost there." He forced a smile. "Keep fighting."
His hand reached up and gently brushed a strand of hair out of her eyes.
"You are so strong," He whispered.
He kept looking ahead, watching the road. Every few minutes he'd glance behind, keeping alert for danger. He was so close...but so far.
"You've got to survive this." He said, staring at the gas gauge.
She looked at him, confused.
"I'm taking you somewhere safe. I promise you."
He glanced at her. Tears were streaming down her face, mixing with her perspiration.
"I'm sorry..." he whispered.
He clenched his jaw and gripped the steering wheel tightly.
"Please....don't leave me...." He closed his eyes.
"Collin?" She whispered.
He looked at her. "Yes."
"Can I rest for a while?"
He nodded. "Yeah."
He wiped her cheeks with his thumb, leaving small streaks of blood. He hated seeing her hurt, but she was strong. She was going to make it. He just needed to believe she would. If she died he couldn't live with himself.
He talked to her and told her stories. Told her how he loved her. She never said a word, but he knew she was listening. Her chest rose up and down steadily; she was alive and breathing.
The wound seemed to be getting worse. But, he couldn't afford to stop. He needed to get her to where they were going. As they came closer to the base, the pain intensified.