Chapter 22

Collin woke up early, the sun just above the horizon. He yawned. He opened his eyes slowly.
The first thing he noticed was that someone was lying next to him, hugging him tight, as if she never wanted to let go.
Kayla.
His heart skipped a beat.
He was wide awake.
He glanced at her. She had a blissful expression on her face. Her eyes were closed. She was beautiful. And she smelled so good.
He gently placed his hand on her arm.
"Kayla." He whispered. He waited for her eyes to open, hoping she would see him. But she stayed asleep.

He brushed a strand of hair away from her face. Her face was calm and tranquil, completely free from pain or sadness.
She was perfect.
He stared at her. He was amazed at how well she was doing. How much better she had come to terms with the situation that had occurred. From the darkness of crushing abuse a  child suffers from, to the brightness of the light of love and trust, Kayla had survived it all. And when Collin found her, he vowed that he would protect her forever. He wouldn't ever allow anything bad to happen to her; not even a single scratch.
If the worst should come to pass, he would be ready to defend her, and kill anyone who dared harm her. No matter what.
Collin smiled. She was beautiful. He touched her nose and cheek, admiring her features. She was his most important possession and his most cherished. She was so strong; he admired her strength. He admired her for being able to fight back.
She had fought so hard.
He watched her sleep. He traced her features. He loved every inch of her. He loved everything about her. She was so unique, so extraordinary, even though she was damaged. Even though she was different, he fell harder for her.
He felt overwhelmed. Every emotion coursed through his veins. He wasn't afraid anymore. He trusted her. He had learned his lesson. He needed to protect her. Because he knew that no one was ever going to hurt her like that again.
He kissed her softly. He laid his warm hand on her smooth back. She stirred, and he kissed her on the top of her head. As she woke up, she looked into Collin's face, and she saw a sparkle in his eyes. It was something new. So full of life and love.
"Morning." He said. Her eyes locked with his, and he could see the excitement in them, but there was something else there too.
Kayla turned over onto her back; looking at Collin, feeling the heat and love she felt at that moment.

She snuggled up against him, her head on his chest.
"I slept like a baby. What about you?" She responded.
Collin leaned forward and kissed her on the mouth.
The world felt so new. He turned onto the side of the bed, and stood naked, pulling his briefs on and jeans. Kayla curled up in the tangled sheets, and Collin laid beside her again, letting her rest her head on his chest.
"Me too, but I don't think it will happen again anytime soon."

Kayla laughed, "No worries. I'd hate for you to have sex with me every time I want to sleep through the night." She smirked,  making him laugh. He leaned in and kissed her lightly, causing her to giggle. He continued to kiss her, deepening their kisses as she giggled at his antics. They lay down on the bed, snuggling up to each other. They held onto each other for dear life, not wanting to let go. Neither one of them was saying anything. There wasn't any need for words. There was an understanding between them; it was enough just to lie there, close to each other, and enjoy the simple fact that they weren't alone.
Collin gazed down at Kayla, and his gaze softened; his eyes filled with tenderness and love. He reached out his arm and touched her face, tracing the contour of her jawline with his finger, running it softly along her lips, feeling her soft breath on his skin. He couldn't believe the feelings she gave him. He almost wanted to make love to her all over again but knew it wasn't the time.
He heard the chickens clucking.

"The chores can't wait." He said. "Do you want to sleep in?"

"No, I'm coming." She said, pulling Collin's T-shirt on. "I'll be out soon." Collin couldn't help but smile as it hung off her naked shoulders.  He leaned in and planted a gentle kiss on her neck, wrapping his arms around her waist, and pulling her close.
Kayla blushed.
"My shirt looks so cute on you, babe."He said.
"You should wear this more often," Kayla said smiling. Collin chuckled lightly.
"I'll keep that in mind." He said, kissing her forehead.
"How about you do the chores and hop back in bed with me?" Kayla offered, gazing at Collin with her large blue eyes.
"Sure, babe. Keep the bed warm for me, will ya?"
"I will," Kayla responded softly. "I love you." She whispered.
"And I love you," Collin replied, kissing her sweetly.
Collin walked downstairs, heading straight for the chicken coop.  Kayla lay back in bed, the excitement of making love last night still fresh on her mind. She pulled her knees up to her chest and laid her chin on them, closing her eyes.
She wondered if Collin would ever be happy with anyone else besides her. His love was pure, it was unwavering. She thought of him touching her and felt herself go wet. She remembered how amazing he made her feel last night; how right it felt to be wrapped up in his embrace. How it felt so right for him to hold her. The way her body fit against his.
She bit her lip. She was still scared.
He was her rock.
He was her protector.