Chapter 33

She gasped for air.
"Collin, I'm cold. Keep me warm....."
"Kayla, you're OK... You're safe."
Her hand was still hot. He hugged her closer.
"Kayla...I love you. I love you. I'm not letting go. Not now. Not ever."

Kayla shuddered. The pain woke her up, her eyes looking around.
"Where...where am I?" She stammered.

"We're going to safety."

Her skin was clammy, and she was having trouble staying awake. Her pulse was weak, and the one hand he had grabbed onto seemed too frail to hold.
"I'm cold" she whispered.
"I know baby...I know."
Kayla shook her head.

"I think I'm gonna die." She muttered, her voice hoarse and cracking.
"No. You're going to be okay."
Her eyes were bloodshot. She was fading.

"Please...don't let me die..." Kayla begged.
"I won't. I swear. If I have to stay by your side for the rest of my life, I will. I won't ever let you go. You're my heart. I'm never...never going to get over you. You're going to be alright, baby." He said, squeezing her fingers. "Hold on."

"So cold." Her voice was barely audible.
He ran his hand through her hair and wrapped the blanket around her. She wouldn't stop shaking.
"Keep me warm." Kayla whimpered. Her voice was sad and pleading.
Collin pressed himself against her. He could feel her skin against him, cool and damp.
"I've got you." He whispered. "It's going to be ok. I've got you. Just hold on a little bit longer. You'll be ok."

Collin sat there silently, holding onto her as tightly as he could.
"Please, help-" Kayla mumbled, closing her eyes.

"I'm here, baby. Everything is gonna be fine. You just hold on." He swallowed the lump in his throat. The world was quiet, everything was fading in and out of focus.
He was losing her.
"I'm cold....please, keep me warm," Kayla murmured.

"I'm right here." He replied, holding onto her tighter.
Her grip loosened a bit.
"Baby, don't fall asleep. Stay with me." He begged, his eyes beginning to sting.
"Don't...don't let me go...promise..."
Her words came out soft, slow, and weak, almost inaudible.
"I can't." He sobbed.
"I'm sorry..."
"Shh....it's ok. I'm not leaving you." He repeated, stroking her hair.
"Love you..." She breathed. "Don't go..."
"Never, baby." He promised, placing a kiss on her forehead. "I won't. Never again."
"Love you, Collin...."
"I love you, Kayla. Always."
The lights began to flicker.
"Stay with me." He said his throat tightening.
Collin's eyes darted to the side.
He looked back at her, staring at her.
Her eyes were closed, her face was pale, and she was breathing normally.

"Shhhh...I will, baby. I'm not going anywhere. Just hold on."
Kayla had stopped shivering. Her skin was cold and clammy.
Collin wrapped her up tight with an extra blanket. He hugged her to him, trying to warm her.
"I love you." He said, kissing her.
He tried to keep a calm tone, but his voice came out in a whisper.

"Shhhhhh, baby. it's okay. It's the morphine; it causes this reaction."

Kayla's eyes were closing.
"Don't leave me, Kayla!" Collin pleaded. "Don't you LEAVE ME!" He nearly shouted.
Collin held her hand and pressed it to his heart.
His tears flowed freely.
"I'm never going to let go of you, Kayla. I promise. I need you, baby. More than anything." He sobbed. "Don't leave me." He whispered. "Please."
There was no response.
She had fallen asleep.
But he didn't care.
He didn't want her to wake up. He didn't want her to see his pain. She didn't need to see that. She'd already been through enough.
He kissed her hand gently, stroking her wrist.
"Love you, baby. Forever and ever." He kissed her fingers, her palm. His lips lingered on her skin.
"I love you." He breathed.
He squeezed her hand tight, hoping somehow, someway, she would hear him.

Her wound had stopped bleeding a long time ago. She was in pain. Slowly, she was dying. He stroked her hair, and she sighed.

"Hold me." She begged. "I'm cold.....please keep me warm...."

Collin pulled her close to him and held her tightly. He kissed her. He held her hand over his heart.
"Hold on." He said. He stroked her hair, kissing her forehead.
"I will."

"I need you to hold on, Kayla. You're going to be okay."
He kissed her again. Her complete lack of response was unnerving. He looked at her. The light was fading away.

She started to cough.
"No..." She moaned.

He held her tight, trying to keep her warm.
"Shhhhhh.....I'm here." He kissed her cheek and held her.

"Please, please, please, please, please....." She groaned.

The light dimmed. The shadows grew dark.
"Stay with me, Kayla," Collin told her. "Stay with me."
Her hands clenched his shirt. "Collin..........I'm cold..." Her lips trembled, her teeth chattering. "I can't....breathe...."
Her body shook.
He held onto her tighter, whispering into her ear.
"Don't leave me. Kayla, we're almost at the base." He said, trying to comfort her. He was crying now. Her eyes slowly closed.
"No....don't you do this. Don't you dare close your eyes....stay awake. Baby stay with me...please." He sobbed.
His chest tightened with each sob that escaped his lips. His whole body ached and burned from the intense emotions he felt for her.
He didn't want her to go.
"Please...please, Kayla...." He sobbed. "I don't want to lose you..."
The light was fading fast.
He felt helpless. As helpless as he did when his unit was killed. If he could save Kayla, he had saved one person since that terrible night. He was doing his duty. He owed it to Kayla to save her. He would give his life for hers.
That's what a soldier does. That's what he thought a soldier does. To protect their family.
He couldn't save anyone, because he failed.
But Kayla was different. She wasn't just his responsibility. She was also his future. Because she was his life.
If he lost her he couldn't live.
"Kayla, open your eyes. Please, baby...Open them." He begged, feeling her breath against him, warm and steady, her heartbeat soft and slow. He caressed her cheeks gently.
Her breath was shortening quickly.
"No....please...Kayla don't do this....you're gonna make it. Don't leave me."
"Collin..." She breathed. Her eyes opened weakly. Her pupils were dilated. Her gaze was unfocused. "Help....me.....please.....please."
"I've got you." He told her. "Just hang on. We're going to make it."
"Collin....please...don't let me go....."
He brushed her hair back and placed a kiss on her brow.
"I'm right here. I won't let you die. You're going to be ok."
"Thank you for saving me.....Collin...."
"I haven't saved you yet, sweetheart," Collin said, trying to sound like he was teasing. But he knew that it sounded more like a real promise than anything else.

Kayla blinked rapidly, trying to get a better vision. Tears streamed down her face. Collin wiped the tears off her cheeks with his thumb, trying to stay hopeful; trying to see them having a happy ending.
He took a shaky breath. He hated seeing her so weak. He hated seeing her suffer. He hated that she was hurting. Hated knowing that he caused it. He hated everything. Collin had lost his faith in humanity a long time ago; his love for Kayla had brought it back.