chapter 11

I'm bored.

This was supposed to be a fun, catching-up-on-life night, but all I'm hearing is what kind of designer bags are trendy instead.

"No, but did you see that blue Givenchy bag, Liv? That one was TO DIE FOR!" Lauren expresses passionately, as I take gin, pouring it into my glass, and mix it with rose lemonade.

Oh yeah, did I mention Olivia's friends are here too?

Olivia shifts beside me on the leather lounge chair, giving me an apologetic look. She told me earlier that when they heard about us two coming to the club to catch up, they wouldn't let her go alone.

"Yeah, it was cute," she takes a sip out of her glass, scrunching her nose up at the cocktail I just made for her. I may or may not have added a bit too much vodka to it.

I watch the rest of her friends share a look, and then send a glance my way.

"Ladies... aren't we going to address the elephant in the room?" Chloe asks the other two friends sitting on each of her sides, as they all look at me.

"What?" I question, sipping on the cocktail I just made, barely feeling any alcohol on my tongue.

"You know... The articles?" Liz continues, as Chloe and Lauren nod their heads, trying to pull out information from me.

I try to understand where this is going, anxiously drumming my fingers on the leather chair's arm along the beat to 'Fire for you' by Cannons trembling in the club's background, the heavy rhythm pulsating through my veins.

"What about them?" I start to get offended, but they give me a look of disbelief, probably thinking I'm fooling them. I watch as Olivia shifts in her seat uncomfortably, obviously a bit ashamed of her friends' prying. I was supposed to catch up with just her, after all.

"Uhm... What's going on with you and... Harry Styles?" Lauren asks, making me furrow my brows. Seriously?

"Literally nothing?" I respond, taking a huge sip from my cocktail, almost finishing the whole drink.

"But what about the pictures in London?" She interrogates again, making my blood slightly boil on the inside.

"Look, for all I know, he could have a girlfriend like that model leaving his house a few days ago." I have to stop talking to prevent snapping at her for asking such dumb questions.

"She just got offered a one-time job, so she took it," Olivia tries to smooth out the situation, seemingly feeling guilty about their prying.

"About that..." I scratch the back of my head, trying to steer clear from the topic, but ending up tracing back to it. "He asked me if I could perform with him for a few more live shows, and I agreed."

"WHAT? That's amazing!!!" Olivia reaches in for a hug. "Oh my God, Amber! I'm so proud of you!" She screams over the loud music, showing how happy she is for me by squeezing my hand.

"We must celebrate this! I'll be right back!" Liv stands up, going after a refill of shots, leaving me alone with her friends.

"Soooo... Tell us something more! Are you working with him or for him?" Chloe asks, and now that Olivia's gone, this starts to feel like a police interrogation, which I've been to a few times.

"Uh, with him?" I start to answer confidently, but it comes out more like a question, as I start doubting myself, "Or maybe for him?" I question again, feeling unsure about the answer, "Probably a bit of both... It doesn't matter, though," I conclude, sipping the last drops of my drink, hoping for Olivia to come back soon.