chapter 12

hey bestiesss <3

this was originally a longer chapter, but I split it into two parts, so it's a bit shorter than usual.

have fun!
great stuff happening soon...

***

I'm barely hanging in there.

I'm almost done with my shift, but my hangover is still pounding on my temples, so I'm drinking carbonated water in between orders to feel somewhat better.

I feel like a dry fucking vegetable.

As I'm leaning on the counter, and rubbing my under-eyes to get rid of the pulling feeling, I get startled when I feel a presence behind me.

"Jesus, you scared me," I jump when I see Landon in front of me now taking off his jacket.

"I can see you're having a rough day," he says in an amused tone, getting ready for his shift.

"Yeah, I-" I start to try to come up with a lie because I promised I'd bring him with me every single time I went out partying.

"You've been out drinking again," he disappointedly declares, making my shoulders slump, "You promised me tha-"

"I know I did, but just didn't think the night would end up like that," I justify, earning a sigh from him.

He pulls me in a tight hug, murmuring, "I'm just worried about you. I don't want a replay of that one night's events..."

"I know, I know. I promise you, I don't feel like that anymore. As much as I appreciate you keeping an eye on me, I'm not gonna try that ever again," I mumble in his shirt before pulling back from the hug, getting uncomfortable talking about that night.

"You know you can call me whenever, right?" he tugs his thin lips into a flat line, "Especially now that you won't be working at the cafe anymore."

"The same applies to you, sir," I offer him a pinkie, as he interlaces our pinkie fingers, making a promise to call each other whenever we're not doing well.

"You know, I'm gonna miss you," he sighs, as I take off my apron, ready to end my shift.

"It's not like we won't see each other anymore," I shrug, pulling on my backpack.

"Well it's gonna be different without you here," he sighs, and the realization there are only three days left for me to work, creates a fairly sour feeling in my bones.

"I still will come by, I promise," I reassure before walking out the front doors, feeling much lighter now that I've talked everything out with him.

The slight breeze plays with my hair on my walk to my apartment. The phone in my pocket rings, so I pull it out, only to be surprised when I see Harry's name flash on the screen.

As I'm about to pick up his call, Chloe's words ring through my head, making me contemplate on answering.

'I mean, think about the articles if he's supposedly dating someone known as a cheater. It's bad publicity. Especially if he's releasing new music, as you said. And if the articles continue, it could be the downfall of his career.'

I know for a fact our rehearsals start in two days, so he must be calling about something else. A bitter feeling starts accumulating in the bottom of my throat when the phone stops ringing.

I don't want to be seen with him as the whore everyone thinks they know everything about.

Shortly after I reach my apartment, a ding erupts from my phone once again, but this time it's a text message.