chapter 25

Harry Styles

I can't sleep.

Maybe it's because of the bed that I'm trying to stay in only one position. If I turn to my side, the springs underneath the mattress create a loud squeaky noise, which is definitely heard even in the hallway outside. Now I'm stuck laying on my back, and I've finally found a spot where my back doesn't ache unbearably.

Or maybe I can't sleep because of the guilt I'm feeling. I can't really tell.

Technically, I should be sleeping like a baby because I've been busy every night this week.

Hayley and I broke up today. Again.

It happened right before I had to head to the airport. I told her I was tired of being purely her fuck-buddy, and she got mad. Really mad. She grabbed my luggage and dramatically threw my clothes all over my apartment.

"Please don't call me ever again, Hayley." I sighed, knowing what usually happens a week after these quarrels. She's usually the first to message me, and I, like an idiot, give in. Then a repeat of today happens all over again.

"You're seriously going to regret this. I'm not kidding this time." She scoffed while gathering her stuff. She pushed a strand of straight blonde hair out of her face, getting out of the door as fast as she could. She took the taxi cab I was supposed to go to the airport with, discarding me like a cigarette.

I had to call another taxi while quickly gathering all my stuff. Halfway through collecting my belongings, I realized that something was missing.

She took my pink glasses.

Mad and annoyed, I arrived at the airport already late with a dickish attitude. And, well... the rest was just a fiasco.

Somehow, I ended up laying in the same bed as Amber.

My head turns to the side of the bed she's sleeping on, and I can't help but just stare. Looking at her peaceful features, guilt fills my veins for making her feel disappointed in me today.

I feel guilty for making her miss her flight.

I feel guilty for giving her that attitude.

I feel guilty for being caught in the public restroom.

I feel guilty for getting the wrong tickets for the ferry.

And... I feel guilty for not responding when she had whispered something in the dark.

I'm really glad I decided to walk into Beachwood that day too.

I watch as her eyelashes flutter with each inhale she makes, and the more I gaze at her, I notice some facial attributes I hadn't paid attention to earlier. For example, I didn't know she had freckles on her nose and upper cheeks. They're really faint but they're definitely there.

This is getting weird.

Suddenly, she stirs in her spot, and I shut my eyes in reflex to not get caught staring.

A minute or so passes by in silence, and I'm about to open my eyes again but I hear her breaths getting more shallow and rapid.

I feel her stir again, and this time her lips leave small mumbles, which my ear can't quite catch the wording of. Gradually, the mumbles turn into whispers, sounding something like, "Please don't!"

Is she having a nightmare?

She repeats that phrase over and over again at a fast pace, so I squeeze my eyes shut even tighter to pretend I'm asleep.

It's only a matter of seconds before I hear her jolt up from her spot into a sitting position while letting out the same "Please don't!" in a louder manner. While doing so, her hand grazes mine, and I feel goosebumps crawl up my skin at the way her hand is shaking.