chapter 23

Amber Easton

Okay. So I guess we're going to Italy. In Sarah's words - the best vacation I've ever went on.

At first, I was very skeptical about the thought of it, but she said that beaches, canyons, sun, and a shit ton of writing music is awaiting me in the most beautiful commune in Sicily - Motta Camastra.

We're spending 5 days in the house next to the beach. I don't think this could be any more perfect, honestly.

"Are you serious?" Liv turns her head to mine, and I'm grateful she didn't swerve the car she's currently driving into another truck. "Niall's here too?"

Her shocked question leaves her lips in panic, making me bite my tongue to stop laughing. "Yeah, I mean Sarah said everyone can bring a 'plus one', and I chose you. I guess Harry decided to bring him."

"Damnit, Amber! I would've brought prettier swimsuits or something!" She nervously straightens her car into the parking lot where Sarah and Mitch accompanied by Niall are waiting for us.

"Relax, he wouldn't care about the swimsuits as long as he'd get under them," I laugh before unbuckling my seatbelt and striding ahead to the trio.

"Good-morning, ladies!" Niall straightens his posture before heading to help us with our suitcases.

"Where's your 'plus one'?" I pull out my baggage, the butterfly keychain dangling on it beautifuly.

"He's uhm-" He scratches the back of his head, and checks his phone. "I think he's stuck in trafic. He'll be here soon, though."

"What took you so long?" Sarah rapidly pulls out the plane tickets from her purse. "We have to go now if we don't want to miss our flight."

"Here." She hands one ticket to Liv in a motherly manner. She then turns to me, shoving two tickets in my hand. I look at her in confusion but she shrugs it off. "You're going to wait until Harry arrives. The rest of us are going to rush and try to figure out the gate and everything. I'll text you right after."

"Sure." I take the offer with a bit of trepidation. They all disappear before I can ask any further questions, leaving me to sit on top of my suitcase and wait for his car to pull up where Sarah instructed.

I'm honestly a bit scared to see Harry. I can't believe a few days ago I broke down like that with him next to me. Even though he assured it's fine, I'm still very embarrassed.

It doesn't take long until a taxi parks right next to me, letting a scruffy chestnut figure leave the car and move in my direction.

"Hi." I get up from my seated position, and hand him his ticket.

He stops for a moment, scratches under his nose and pulls the piece of paper out of my hand. "Hi." He answers in the most freakishly cold tone one could muster, and takes huge strides to the entrance without giving me a second glance. Even his steps have a bitter touch.

Shit.

We spend some time just walking toward the airport in silence, but the gravel crunching beneath our feet and the sound of the suitcase's little wheels gets too lound, so I'm the first one to speak up.

"I'm sorry about the other night. I understand if you're mad at me after that." The tone in my voice is direct, and I try my best to avoid eye contact.

He stops his walk, releasing a tiredly exaggerated sigh while leaving an annoyed impression. "Amber, it's not that. I just haven't had any sleep."

His eyes fall down to mine, then to my hair and other features. I notice his jaw clench and unclench before he rubs his face with both of his hands. "It's really fucking with my mind."