chapter 45

Amber Easton

If 3 years ago someone had told me I'd be laying in a field of dandelions with one of my favorite people in the entire world while feeling happier than ever... I would've laughed straight into their face.

And, if somebody had told me Harry Styles would be making me run as fast as I can to get to an old bridge... I would be extremely confused.

But here we are.

We spent the whole day on the flower field. I kept telling him the most random facts about them I could remember, like "Did you know there's such a thing as dandelion honey? Milk as well. And every part of the flower is edible. You know, I've heard people cook and eat them like it's meat. How crazy is that?"

To that, Harry just kept nodding whenever I asked him a reassuring question while keeping his eyes drilled on me at all times.

We napped, had snacks, daydreamed, read, listened to poetry, and laughed for hours until other people started filling the place, so we had to leave anyway. We wanted to stretch the moment of joy for a little longer, so Harry took a left turn instead of a right when driving home.

Now we're rushing up the familiar trail, the gravel crunching harshly under our feet. I still haven't figured out what's the hurry, but Harry's adamant to get us up there quickly.

"I don't know if you remember, but last time we laid on the bridge, I told you I'd take you to see shooting stars." Harry grabs my hand tighter, making me run while hiking up to our destination. "Well, it's August, and I'm a man of my word."

"It still doesn't explain why we're running." I pant out, feeling my cheeks redden from the heavy exercise.

"Well..." Even he has to take a breath from the pace we're going at. "It's because this is one of the few moonless nights this month, plus the sky's as clear as ever." He lets me cling to his hand for life. "I'm pretty sure once it gets brighter soon, we won't be able to see 'em."

"Alright, star expert," I mutter under my breath, feeling as though my lungs are about to give out. Maybe working out more often isn't such a bad idea.

"C'mon." He guides me up the last steps, now gently putting his hand on the small of my back.

Finally stepping onto our destination, I'm familiar with the dim outlines of the bridge. It's even more narrow than I'd remembered but is still so high that it invokes a tinge of anxiety in me.

I notice Harry's eyes linger onto its railing a second too long, and it makes shivers run down my spine. I'm quick to burry the strange feeling down and drag him to sit in the middle of the bridge instead so that we wouldn't even be touching the barriers.

I glance up at the darkened sky, still in awe of the thousands of luminaries up for display. Some of them are dim, and some are much brighter than others, but they all create a family of small lights as a whole.

It's truly a tear-invoking moment.

I nearly gasp when my eyes flick to a source of light flashing while slipping down the nocturnal sky. I must admit, it's shooting much slower than I'd expected, but it doesn't ruin my uncensored excitement.

"Holy shit! Is that it?" I passionately point up to the moving object, but the air gets filled with Harry's sunlit laughter instead.

"No, baby." He gently folds my finger back down. "I'm pretty sure it's an airplane."

"Oh." I sputter out a chuckle, feeling a little embarrassed.

"They should appear soon, though." He reassures, gazing up at the sky, seemingly nowhere in particular.