Troubled (Any Era)

"Baby, I'm home!"

After a grueling day at the studio, I finally returned home and expected the woman I love most in the world to greet me as she always does. The sight of her running down the stairs with the biggest grin on her face as she peppered me with kisses all over was something I adored so much!

Yet this time, nothing like that happened. I called out her name a few times but no response. I felt the panic in my system rise as I now didn't even know if she was in the house or not. I then heard what sounded like sniffling coming from upstairs. Concerned, I made my way to our bedroom and sure enough found my beautiful angel crying. Alarmed, I rushed to her.

"Babygirl, what happened?! Why are you crying?"

She could barely even choke out a syllable from the amount of tears streaming down her face. I held her in my arms and gently stroked her hair, lightly rocking us back and forth until she was ready to talk.

"Shhh, it's ok babygirl. I'm right here."

As I felt her sobs die down, I pulled her from my shoulder and looked into her eyes. Gingerly, I brushed a few strands out of her face and let my fingers caress over the soft skin of her cheek. My eyes silently asked her the question again, hoping to get a response.

"I-It's nothing Michael. Just something stupid."

"It sure didn't seem like nothing to me."

She turned away and sighed, fiddling with her hands before raising her face to meet mine again.

"I was...I was thinking about my life...with my parents...before I met you."

She looked down and another tear escaped. Instantly, I softened as she had told me about them before and it saddened me to see she's still affected by it. I pulled her into a tender embrace to show she no longer has to worry about this.

"Babygirl, I just want you to know, you're always safe with me. I promise, I'll never do anything to intentionally hurt you. I love you too much for that."

I gently cupped her face and peppered it with kisses like she always did with me, earning a laugh and that huge, beautiful smile of hers.

"Mission accomplished Mike."

"Now that you're all better, how about I make you something?"

She beamed and wrapped her arms around me, pulling me close for another hug.

"That would be lovely."