Hiding

Published on: September 1, 2021

***

His phone was buzzing since he left the office, he was holding it tight, clutching it in one hand, looking at the caller id, but can't take the courage to pick it up... it ringed again and after few rings, got silenced, he placed it on the side and looked at the ceiling.... It buzzed again and soon single-line texts started flushing on his phone, He sighed and finally saw them...

"Where are you??"

"Gulf??"

"You are scaring me"

"Pick up the calls"

"Did someone said anything to you"

"Gulf??"

"Hey" 

"sorry"

"I am home"

"Why did you left early",

"I was excited to see you"

"and I can't face call right now😩"

"I was having a major headache" 

He felt guilty while lying

"took medicine??"

"I did"

"Is it better or you wanna see a doctor??"

"I'm fine, just want some sleep"

"Have you eaten??"

"I will order something for you, is take out ok"

"I will do it, don't worry"

"It will be on the door in few minutes"

"Should I ask my cook??"

"Noooo... delivery is fine"

"Okay sleep well, I will see you tomorrow"

Gulf slumped on his bed the paperweight in his hand had already lost its shine, its surface no longer felt smooth, it looks unappealing, he tossed it on the side and refused to look at the crystal...he curled in a ball playing with the thread of comforter...

After tossing and turning for a while, He went to the dressing room and opened the hidden door behind his clothes... he entered the room and was welcomed with various sparkles he had collected for years now..

He opened one of the drawers at the corner, and took out woman wristlet from it, he placed the paperweight along with it, and sit aside with wristlets in his hands, he thumbed on the surface, it is same, like years ago... may have blackened a little over the years, it's sparkles has lost its shine, but the pain he felt after having them was same, the memory of past gushed in unknowingly...

he wanted to throw them away but he can't, he wanted to run away but can't, he wanted to say the truth but he can't...

he took out the paperweight again and thumbed on its surface, why it doesn't make him happy, 

He raised wristlets over his head towards the light and gazed at them with some despondency

"Am I gonna be thrown out again??"