Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty

The next day had rolled around. We had slept at The Wreck, the only place we could go without being caught.

I was cuddled up to JJ at a booth and I had woken up to siren's blaring throughout the town. JJ's back was pressed against the booth and we were both spooning, pressed against each other.

I had hardly any sleep last night due to the sirens. I probably got an hour's sleep and I'm not sure how JJ managed to get any sleep at all.

I had gotten off the booth and walked over to the window, looking outside. I frowned deeply. They're still on the lookout for John B, which means he hasn't been caught, which is a good thing.

I felt arms wrapped around my shoulders. I turned my head to see JJ and Pope joining me. I smiled and he leans in and kissed my lips gently.

"He's pinched for sure, man." JJ had said.

"No." I shake my head. "They wouldn't still be patrolling if they caught him."

"Let's hope." JJ had responds.

"You know, we were in that car." Kie had pointed out. She had just woken up. "They're probably looking for us, too."

"Well, if we're gonna be outlaws, we might as well help John B." Pope points out and I nodded.

Pope grabs some keys from a bag. "So, we find him before they do?" JJ asked. Pope ignored JJ and walked towards the exit. "Pope?"

"I'm gonna get gas for the boat." Pope says.

"Hey, you be careful." Kie told Pope. Pope stops and looked at her. "Okay?"

He scowls at Kie then looked towards JJ and I. "Meet me at the dock at three. Don't be late."

Kie furrows her brow and follows him outside.

"Yikes." I muttered.

"What's up with them?" JJ asked and I shrugged.

"I dunno. There's always something up with them. But, I wanna find out." I dragged JJ towards the deck outside.

"Okay, what is your problem?" Kie yelled out to Pope.

"No problem, officer." Pope sarcastically said and approaches JJ's dirt bike. "I'm just doing my job." I held onto the railing and JJ stands next to me. Pope gets onto the dirt bike.

"Look, I'm sorry that I hurt your feelings." Kie approaches Pope as Pope turns on the dirt bike.

He reeves the engine. "What was that?"

"Look, I didn't mean to." Kie had continued to try and talk to him.

"Sorry, I can't hear you," Pope spoke over the loud reeving. "What was that?"

"Pope, I'm being serious—" She looks fed up as Pope continues his childish acts. "I'm trying to talk to you!"

He rides away. Kie frowns, turning to us. She looked up at the sound of a helicopter overcasts us.

"Who the hell is that?"

✫✫✫

"You sure he wasn't just being weird Pope?"

JJ, Kie, and I packed food from The Wreck, trying to get anything we can get our hands on for John B and Sarah.

"It wasn't really the kind of thing that needed interpretation," Kie said, handing him a loaf of breed."Is that gonna be enough food for them?"