Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

Pope, Kie, JJ, and I all climbed out of the police car to a white tent. It looked like chaos here and this was all for John B. A man who was accused of murder.

It was dark and thunder roars above us which made me grow concern for John B. He will make it. I do believe in him.

"Follow Plumb to that tent." Shoupe told us. We followed a man, Plumb and we walked inside the tent. "Right to your left here." Shoupe points to a bench and we all sat down on it.

I sat next in between JJ and Kie. JJ holds my hand tightly, casting me a look of worry.

"Sit down. Don't move." Shoupe told us sternly. "We got a lot to talk about. Keep an eye on these kids."

A few metres away from us there were people at computers typing away frantically. "Blockade is up at the marsh and Masonboro and all other inlets from Shem Creek to Breach Inlet." I overheard an officer say. "I want eyes on all coastal access points, people. Let's get this guy."

Not only is the entire sheriff's department here, but some FBI people are here from a different state.

I wait nervously, my leg bouncing up and down. JJ placed a hand on my thigh, doing circle emotions on it, trying to calm me down. It was working, kind of.

"Suspect is attempting to escape to the south." My heart drops as I heard that from the radio. Rain from outside could be seen. "Our attempts to contact the vessel were unsuccessful. We're getting hammered here."

"Hold your position, captain." The FBI guy said.

"Roger that."

"I got one more card I think we can play,"

A few moments later, my Dad had stormed in, looking frantic. "Stormy, honey!" His face relaxed when he saw me and he approached. He pulled me into a hug and I don't hug him back, frowning. "I'm so glad you're okay. Where's your sister?"

"I—I don't know." I admit, pulling away from him. I shake my head at him, running a hand through my hair. "Don't touch me." I told him gently, taking a step back from him.

There's a high chance that John B has Sarah right now, and I'm trying desperately hard not to think about it. 

"Sir, would you please come this way?" The FBI guy asked my Dad.

"Can I bring my daughter, Stormy?" Dad questioned, motioning towards me.

I looked back at my friends and they all stare at me, they weren't sure what to do, either. "Yeah, of course." The FBI guy nods his head. I made eye contact with JJ as my father pulls me into the other room.

Dad had grabbed a hold of the radio. "John B?" Dad questioned and I stand behind him with my arms crossed. "John B? I know you're there, son." I scowled at him when he said the word 'son'. "I know you can hear me, and if you love my daughter like I think you love my daughter, then you will turn that boat around and come back. You are going into a storm that you cannot survive."

"John B, please, I will make it right." Dad had continued to lie. I shake my head, knowing he wasn't going to. I placed a hand over my mouth, my face crumbling up. "I promise you. Come back." There's no response. "John B, I am begging you. Think of her and turn around."

"Ward Cameron, can you hear me?" I gap, surprised to hear John B's voice.

"Yes." Dad responded. "Yes, son, I am right here. I'm right here. Please bring her back, okay?" Sarah's with John B. "We'll work it all out when you get home."