Chapter Forty-Three

Chapter Forty-Three

One month I had gone by on this island. I had finally come to terms with what had happened; my processing days were over. Everyone had pitched in to build our little house by the cave. Sarah was even making our beds were flax bushes she'd stripped from.

Pope and Cleo were finding some food further into the woods. John B and Sarah are by the home base, while Kie and JJ are finishing making spares and are going to bring us fish for dinner tonight.

I stood at the top of the hill I'd climbed, finishing the stack of wood we'd built a couple of days ago. Just in case we'd ever see a plane or a boat, we were going to set off a signal to let others know we were here. We're going to light it up in flames in hopes that not only the fire helps, but the smoke from it, too.

I sat on the grass, looking out towards the sea, meditating. I love to do afternoon yoga here. It was peaceful, I could gather my thoughts for the day. Feel some sort of peace at mind. I closed my eyes, just feeling the breeze, the wind going through my hair. I could use some shampoo and conditioner if I was honest. That would be really nice.

"Hey." I opened my eyes, spotting my sister sitting next to me and crossing her legs. I give her a small smile. "You ever feel like you're going crazy?"

I sighed. "Almost every single day."

She shrugs. "I swear I just saw our Dad's boat in the distance, but John B assured me there wasn't. But—But there was, I was so sure of it."

"I didn't see any boat," I assure her. "I've been here for a couple of hours, too."

"I know." She murmurs. "Do you want to go home?"

I bite the inside of my cheek. "Not really. We don't have anyone to go back to, S."

Sarah wrapped an arm around me. "Yeah, but we'll always have each other, right?"

"Duh." I rolled my eyes, leaning more into her touch. "I wonder if anyone misses us right now."

"Probably Topper," Sarah responds, snorting a little at the thought.

"Oh, don't." I groaned, not wanting to hear his name. "I bet he's still obsessed with you."

"Obsessed with me?" She retorts. "More like with you. Did you forget—"

"I would rather." I cut her off. "Trust me, he probably still loves you." Our conversation fell short. I heard some cheering for Kie and JJ down below. "You think they caught anything?"

"Shall we go find out?" Sarah asked, beginning to stand up and I nodded, taking her hand as she helped me stand up.

About five minutes later, we'd made our way down the main beach, seeing Kie holding up a sting ray with a stick stabbed in its head at the end. I grinned. "Woo!" I cheered for her, and she grinned at me. "We're eating good tonight, guys!"

JJ runs over to me. "You should've seen it, Kie did awesomely!"

The night was slowly rolling around and we'd have dinner, now we were all sitting by the rocky cliffs, playing a quick game of truth or dare. That was our routine, have dinner, and play a game. Only to pass time.

John B was handed the truth or dare hat by Sarah. "Okay, John B, your turn." Sarah insisted as I sat in between JJ's legs, leaning on his chest.

"All right, all right. Truth." John B nods, standing up.

"This is exciting." Cleo smiled.

"If you could do it all again..." Sarah begins. "What would you do different?"

"Uh, get the gold out before Ward did." JJ pipes up.

"Maybe hide the cross a little better," Pope suggested, and I winced.

"Sorry, our bad," I mumbled, gesturing towards me and JJ.

"Not yell murderer at Ward, maybe." Kie pursed her lips together.

"Uh, steal a couple of bottles of Rum before we jumped off the boat?" John B answers.

"Yeah, why didn't you do that, actually?" JJ questioned, playing with my hair.

I giggled along with Kie. "I don't know, maybe 'cause I was in a fight to the death?" John B retorts back.

"I would look both ways before crossing the street," Cleo added, shooting John B a look.

The girls laughed. "Yeah, my bad." John B smiled.

"Your turn, Chief." Cleo nodded towards him.

"All right, Kie." John B turned to her. "Truth or dare?"

John B puts the hat on Kie. She rolled her eyes. "Truth."

"All right." John B grinned. "Um, if you could go home to your parent's house on figure eight this instant... Would you do it?"

Kie crunches up her face. "No chance."

"Seconded." Sarah points at her.

"Amen." I raised my arm in the air slightly, before JJ took my raised hand in his, lowering them to the ground. I smiled at him.