Chapter Thirty-Eight

After getting Wheezie to distract Rafe, Sarah and I wait in the hallway, as Rafe was in Wheezie's room complaining about her suitcase. "You're taking entirely way too much stuff, Wheeze. That's the problem, all right?"

Sarah and I sneak out into the hallway and go downstairs, hearing Wheezie and Rafe lightly argue. We rushed over to Rafe's bedroom and discovered that it was locked. Sarah and I looked at each other, our eyes widening.

Well, shit, shit, shit.

I grip onto my hair, trying to think of something to do. "What do we do?" Sarah hisses and I quickly thought of something. JJ had taught me out to unlock doors one time. He used my bobby pin, but right now, I don't have one.

I go to the cubed door and grabbed a coat hanger. I kneeled at Rafe's door and I stuck the end of the coat hanger inside the lock, fiddling around with it. I had unlocked it. "Holy shit, it worked," I mumbled, pushing the door open and Sarah looked at me with wide eyes.

"Since when—"

"JJ," I answered quickly and quietly before we both slipped into Rafe's room. We walked right over to the nightstand. I stopped when there were no keys there. Sarah searched the nightstand in a panic.

"Oh, God—" Sarah panics, her eyes darting frantically over the room. "Phew." She grabbed the keys off the bed and grabbed my hand, dragging me to the exit. We head downstairs. Sarah and I exit outside, jogging towards the truck. We run towards the driver's trucks seat and she unlocks it. "Wait, stop."

"What?" I asked. She grabbed my hand and pulled m towards the truck's back door, not saying anything. She unlocked the back and opens the door. My face falls as I looked inside with her, Renfield's lifeless eyes looking back at us. My entire heart felt like it was falling in that moment. "Oh, my God—Oh my God."

Sarah, panting, looks away, her own eyes widening. We locked eyes for a moment. Sarah had backed up into Rafe and he grabbed her. Sarah lets out a small whimper.

"Rafe!" I had snapped, clenching my fists.

"I really wish you guys didn't do that." Rafe lowly said.

"Get off me!" Sarah screeches. "No!"

"Rafe!" I stormed towards him, grabbing onto him but that backfired as he had deafened a grip on me, dragging both me and Sarah towards the house. "Rafe, let go of us! J—"

"Stormy Cameron, finish that sentence, I dare you," Rafe had hissed lowly, and I looked at my brother dead in the eyes.

"JJ, help—" Suddenly, he lets go of Sarah and swings towards me. My reaction time was a little bit slow and I felt a huge pain in the side of my head.

"Storm!" Sarah had whimpered out, her eyes widening. Suddenly, Sarah turned into two people, my vision going blurry. And then, Rafe's elbow connected with my nose. "Son of a bitch—"

Everything went black.

✫✫✫

"Storm? Stormy?" I was being shaken awake, everything coming back to me slowly. I recognised that it was my sister, Sarah, kneeled in front of me while I was slumped on the ground.  

"Why does everything hurt?" I asked, my voice weak. Sarah smiled slightly, brushing some hair out of my face and I looked around me. It looked like we were in our wine cellar.

"Because Rafe beat you until you were knocked out." Sarah gently said. "And he didn't stop—I had to jump on him to stop, but he had knocked me over easily. That boy has some serious anger issues."