Chapter 52 ❆ Changes

Thanks to FANtaC for reminding me to upload. Please feel free to nag me over at my social media accounts whenever I miss updates.

You can nag me over these accounts:

ReaLovelyWriter (Twitter & Insta)
MyLovelyWriter (Facebook)

Hearing the challenge in my tone, the boy was not ruffled in the slightest. He maintained the bright and confident smile, as though he really was capable of handing anything I wanted to me—all for the sake of music.

"It all depends on what you want to achieve," he said. "Ask for any favor. I'll give it to you as long as it doesn't hurt my bottom line."

Angel's strings...well, indeed. It was a legendary item. Few would be trained on how to handle it properly, and few could truly bring out its beauty. Mistress Marian had given it to me, but more than anything, my reluctance on agreeing was mainly hinged on the fact that I knew it was wasted on my current level of skills. Since this guy was powerful, if what he claimed to be was true, then what would happen if I messed up big time? There was no way to know how he would react.

Also...I was still very suspicious. It was easy to covet things like this. I just didn't expect someone would know what it was from a glance.

"You will regret it," I said with a sigh, then turned back to the drink. I wished Mistress Veronika would come back soon. "You should know how tricky angel's strings are to play. If they end up in the wrong hands, they become anything but."

"I guess that's my gamble," he said with a laugh. "Look, I'm always in this restaurant, so if you happen to change your mind, just tell the manager you're looking for me. I'm Kaiser." He held out a hand.

I did not want to brush up in animosity, so after suspiciously staring at the extended limb, I reluctantly took his hand and shook it. "Alright."

"You won't tell me your name?"

"You'll hear it when I decide to play for you," I said. Which meant he would never know.

"Well, okay...it's not like I can't find out. There shouldn't be many as unique-looking as you do."

He waved and left.

I watched his retreating back, wondering about his identity. He was always in this restaurant, he said, which would either make him the owner, a friend or a relative of the owner, or otherwise just someone who really loved the place. Of all those options, the last one was the least likely.

I knew complicated people when I saw them. They had a certain...flavor to them, I would suppose. I got killed in my last life getting involved with such people. I had ignored my instincts and I paid the price.

Not again in this life.

I sighed and went back to focusing on my drink. I honestly didn't like dealing with these kinds of difficult people. And this guy, obviously with how he spoke, would be the very difficult kind. Eren and Maun were already a lot to handle, and this new guy seemed to have a rather challenging personality too. He might look cordial, but here was a sharpness in his eyes—not necessarily the good kind too.

Whatever. I didn't plan on approaching this person. I would probably never go here again either.

When Mistress Veronika came back to her seat, she noticed something was a little off. She placed the napkin on her lap and carefully lifted the ice cold class to take a sip of her watermelon sugar. "Did something happen?" she asked. The ice clinked at the sway of her wrist.

"Yes, but it doesn't matter."

She raised a brow. "Alright. If you say so."

After having our refreshments, we made our way into the street where Mistress Veronika's building was situated. It was in the business street, which was a very good location with high traffic. In fact, it was a tad bit better than the location I previously selected.