Chapter 56 ❆ New Start

I looked around, marveling. The warm light and the homey space was almost a dream considering how much we had suffered in the past few months. Lovarda, unlike Venerya, was in a much more temperate climate. It did not get too cold outside no matter the season, and the weather remained warm all year around.

Still, that did not mean it did not get cold and uncomfortable during certain days. At times, it was also hard to bear with the hot, drying sun. The tent offered shade, but it also often accumulated a lot of heat. It was better to rest under a tree.

"Wow, you did all this in just a few days?" I gazed at the two of my mistresses, full of praise and worship.

"Neilly or Marian would have done a better job," Mistress Kora said with a sigh as he scratched his cheek self-deprecatingly. "Ah, I miss those folks. Anyway, Evy...let me show you something!" He clapped his hands, eyes glimmering in excitement.

"Can I do it?!" Erenol bounced with just the same energy.

Seeing Erenol with cropped hair, dressed as a guy and trying hard to act like a guy, was still a bit strange. However, in her excitement, she seemed to have let go of the façade and went back to her previous self.

I was only feeling like this because it was just a big change. It would probably take a while for me to settle my disoriented mind.

"What did I say about mannerism?" Kora scolded.

Erenol's original excitement lightened considerably and she slumped forward.

She then cleared her throat, posturing her idea of a little dude, and offered, "I should show you!" she said in a lower voice.

"I don't think so," I said.

She looked crestfallen and her voice heightened to its original pitch. "W-why?"

"Haven't you heard that boys can't go into girls' rooms so casually?" I teased.

Her bottom lip trembled. "Can I not be a boy today? I'm very tired," she whimpered.

Mistress Kora sighed helplessly. Just in time, Mistress Veronika came out with a smile. "Let the children be for the night. We ought to have dinner in a few minutes. Maun, help me out in the kitchen?"

Maun gazed hesitantly between us and Mistress Veronika. He stuck out his bottom lip in complain but made no other protest and obediently went with Mistress Veronika.

I laughed and proceeded to follow Eren's lead. The walk was short since the house wasn't big. A door at the end of the corridor came to view. Erenol gestured for me to open it and I walked in, glancing around tentatively as my eyes were greeted with a humble but cozy bedroom. It was still a little bare, but it shouldn't be trouble to add some color to it.

Perhaps I could run over every weekend for a break whenever it felt too much. Judging by the intensity of lessons during the first day, I was certain there would be some nervous and mental breakdowns within the next few years or so. If so, this should be a good place to hide.

An introvert could never be without her den, after all. And the temple was not a comfortable place. Although I might grow fond of it after a while, it would probably not match the level with which I could freely relax.

As I was imagining how to personalize the space, images of Oblivion being razed through the ground flashed in my mind—walls bathed in frost and fire, with Veils circling the sky...I swallowed and felt my cheerful mood overturning.

It all happened in the span of a second. My thoughts have ran a mile in such a short moment.

I couldn't help but close my eyes and let the doubts settle in my heart. "Can we really stay here like this?" I asked, hesitant.