Chapter 71 ❆ Greensleeves

'Aha, bad move,' a sudden voice rang in my mind. 'You're basically revealing your ability to so many people. Aren't you afraid they won't be trustworthy? Come on, Evyionne. I thought you were smart. Turns out you're still quite naive.'

"Shut up and go to sleep if you won't be of any help."

I fought the urge to roll my eyes and punch the air in front of me, because I needed to keep my composure. The chances of these guys believing me was low, but this was currently my best chance. I knew for a fact that I would not be able to perform the treatment covertly because I wasn't anywhere near sleek enough to do that kind of operation. Also, now that they have reached a state of heightened emotions, provoked by Elion, they would not be thinking straight and were naturally more susceptible to saying yes to a ridiculous request.

It wasn't naive. It was a calculated risk.

But I wouldn't explain this to Amber. I just wasn't in the mood to explain anything at all. Especially to him.

If my mistresses hadn't advised me on the ethics of this family, I would do nothing for them. But, so far, they had been welcoming and tolerant. And even in the short time I was here, I could tell they weren't bad people. My instincts and judgment of people were quite good, so I had some trust I wasn't wrong.

Besides, I wanted an opportunity to be able to control and explore my power. As bad as it sounded, Kaiser's mother was going to be an experiment.

It must be ridiculous listening to a thirteen-year-old girl like this. However, what else could I do?

"Do you know what you're saying, child?"

"I know," I said. "I can't guarantee she will make a full recovery, but I do know is that I can give it a try...but if you're not comfortable with it—"

"Then do it," Pier said.

"—I can...what?" I looked up in shock at Pier's response to my ridiculous request.

It was ridiculous, come on! I was expecting you to at least say something in protest! Underestimate me because of my age! Doubt my inexperience! This is your wife we're talking about, not a stranger!

As I was trying to digest his reply, Kaiser rushed over to me. "Evyionne, do you really have a way to help my mother?"

I nodded dumbly.

"That's great! Then do it now!"

What was up with this family? The climactic drama I was expecting a while ago had been thrown out the window.

I sighed inwardly and paused for a while longer, thinking about what I needed to get the job done. I looked seriously at the faces of the people in the room and found that they were all gazing just as keenly in my direction.

Awkwardly, I turned to the bed, and told Kaiser, "I...I will need my harp from your room."

"The harp!" Kaiser's eyes glistened with excitement. "I'll go get it!"

I caught Pier throw a brief glance at Herrin. "His room?"

Herrin shrugged.

I ignored their contemplating eyes and focused on the matter before me.

"Amber, tell me. How can I cure this woman?" I asked. "I tried it earlier, but I only ended up making her condition worse."

"Veils like the easy way, not the hard way. They get super aggressive, and you're currently in no position to be provoking them. You're not at that stage yet."

"I thought I had to beat them to submission at some point?"

"You do. But can you?"

I was speechless. "No."