Chapter 57 ❆ Gravity

Days rolled by in peace in the temple. I spent most of the days training with the other disciples of my year and my sessions with the Abbot trying to figure out how to navigate the complications of my ability. I have not surmounted the first hurdle of being unable to comfortably use my element, so I spent the time struggling and ruminating about how to step forward.

"Your breathing has improved, and I can see that there's progress," the Abbot said.

"Not enough improvement, unfortunately," I mumbled in frustration, warming my hands on the wooden carving from Maun as I suppressed my body from shivering.

The Abbot sighed. "You know, there is wisdom among your peers," he said.

I looked up at him. "What do you mean?"

"I'm saying perhaps you should consult your co-disciples," he told me. "Indirectly, of course. There's knowledge in others' experience, and their journeys may be parallel to your own. No matter how different your paths, you may find they are more similar to you than you expect."

"Well, I wonder," I muttered.

"I heard you were all planning on eating out somewhere? Isn't that mushroom kid treating you?"

"Yeah. I feel he's quite wealthy," I said.

"Use that opportunity, then."

"I'm just a little concerned," I whispered. "Well, are we allowed to do this?"

"Which one? Eating out?"

I was silent when I realized how ridiculous my question really sounded. The Abbot gave a low laugh.

"You can do what you want as long as it's within the law. Of course, you cannot use your uniforms outside of the Temple nor can you use the Temple's name in vain or for your own purposes without prior permission. However, considering you are still disciples, you must embody the discipline and character that we represent," he explained. "In other words, act within the good bounds."

"Good bounds...a little vague," I said. "Anyone can justify what is good according to their own morality. I'm afraid you'll have to be more specific."

"Makes perfect sense. However, you will pass by the temple's wall of virtues every time you leave. Don't tell me you haven't read it yet?"

"Wall of virtues?" I asked. "That existed?"

The Abbot gazed at me. Although it wasn't sharp or pointed as though scolding, there was a hint of dissatisfaction.

I nodded with a dry laugh. "I see...then I'll keep that in mind, master."

"Good. Let's finish here for today. It's the weekend, so be sure to rest well. Be sure to ruminate on the points I have given you earlier. I really hope we can make a breakthrough with you very soon."

"I understand. Thank you, master," I said. I rose from the floor, patting my thighs to encourage blood flow. I then bowed deeply to the Abbot and proceeded to retreat from the room.

I wasn't keen on knowing these virtues he mentioned just now, but I had an inkling I would be tested on them during our next meeting. I would be sure to check it out once we go, just to make sure I didn't run into some scolding once the weekend was over.

As I walked out of the inner halls, I stretched and yawned.

The moment I stepped out towards the courtyards, somebody ambushed me from an intersection. "Are you trying to escape?!"

I recoiled and tried to break free but found myself on my ass on the ground and bound in place.

At a loss, I tried to see my attacker's face. I found Mushroom Soup—rather, Erlan Jin, tying me up with a rope and pulling me away. "What is wrong with you? Who planned on escaping?"