Chapter 72 ❆ Lethe

"With what did you cure the lady with?" the doctor asked in astonishment. He lowered his instruments and packed them in his satchel, at a loss. "Just a few hours ago, her condition was steadily deteriorating. Now there are practically no signs of illness on her at all!"

Kaiser's mother laughed. "It is indeed a miracle," she said.

"Perhaps the treatment earlier was effective, and the effects were just delayed? I was losing hope it even worked at all..." Herrin casually commented. "Yet here we are."

I mentally flicked a thumbs up his way. This man was awesome. Cool, playing it so cool.

"Yes...yes...well, there can be no other explanation, so I suppose we should all take it as it is." The doctor nodded, seemingly convinced. "And it would seem I no longer serve any purpose in this household."

"Don't say that, doctor," Kaiser's mother said with laughter. "Feel free to stay another day as previously planned. My husband mentioned a feast tonight. Considering how well I feel, I may even join you."

"Oh...oh, I'm very tempted," he replied. "But I'm very old so feasts would only be shortening what little time I have in this world. I'm worried I might eat things I'm not allowed to, so I'll leave you here and spend time with my family instead."

"Understandable. We had to drag you away and ask you to come out of retirement for us. But do let us escort you back to your home. We're really grateful with what you've done for us so far," Pier said, clapping on the back of the doctor and guiding him out the door. "Would you like to stay for tea before you leave?"

"Tea. Is it your good ones?"

"Of course. None but the best."

"Then I'll oblige. But just a cup before I leave. I had indulged myself in the snacks you provided for me earlier in the room," the doctor replied good-naturedly.

After the doctor left with Sir Pier, Kaiser practically hopped over to his mother's side. He knelt by her bed and brightly clasped her now-warm hands, rubbing his cheeks against the back of it. "Mom, do you truly feel well?"

"Yes, son..." She lovingly ruffled his hair, smiling at him. "We'll be like before right after today."

"Evyionne, you..." Elion trailed off as he approached me hesitantly, lightly tugging on my sleeves. "Do you think we can talk later?" he asked. "I really have...a lot of questions."

I gazed into his dark eyes. They were usually very positive, but I could tell the sadness and desperation rimming them. Faced with such emotions, I could not bear to tell him no. I gave him a light nod and whispered, "Don't worry, I'll answer your questions later."

"Thank you...but today, I think I'm going to go home," he said. "I'm not feeling very well...and I promised to do some shopping to cook dinner tonight. Do you think you'll be able to make it back tonight?"

"Well, there's still the Temple's curfew to mind. I'm definitely going to go back tonight with Maun," I said.

"Should I prepare two more plates for you?"

"I doubt it," I said. "I don't have a very big stomach, and I plan to stay here for dinner to talk with everyone. Send my regards to your family."

"I understand...thank you."

"Please don't talk to anyone about what you saw today for now," I said, grasping his hand. "Can I trust you with this?"

"You didn't even have to ask," he replied with a soft smile. "Don't worry. I know. You have the power to help...I won't put you in danger until you're very strong."