Chapter 16 ❆ Eren's Round (pt. 1)

White Face ended up winning the fight against Northern Breeze. The skill the former had was sophisticated even though a little on the strange side. He exhibited techniques that were very unique to himself—and probably a select bunch of other people.

"Weird. If I wasn't mistaken, that White Face seems to have used a form of specialized technique," Erenol said.

"Specialized technique? How'd you know about that stuff?" I asked.

Maun leaned forward curiously as well.

"Don't forget where I lived! And I saw Sir Leiran all the time," she said.

"Sir Leiran..." I repeated. "I wonder what happened to him?"

"Yeah...Anyway, I know how those people are like," Erenol whispered to me as we watched. "There are usually clans dedicated to their own styles of martial arts, though they are highly dependent on the Temple still. The wisdom and knowledge that the monks possess cannot be passed down to outsiders, so they have to come under the direct tutelage of the Temple. I've seen many of their members in the palace. I'm actually kind of scared they would recognize me..."

"So the Temple has a monopoly on the knowledge?" I asked. "Martial arts, I mean."

"Technically? They do," Erenol said. "The barest of knowledge is freely disseminated to the general populace, so it won't be difficult to train up that point—though guidance is not guaranteed. Clans focus on specializations on certain types of elements. People have to rely on the basics from the Temple though, because the Way of the Gods is sacred and fundamental to all forms of martial arts."

"So this sacred thing...must be very important if they don't want it being carelessly passed down?"

"The knowledge...has to be kept pristine, I think?" Erenol tapped on her mask where her lower lipped was supposed to sit. "To prevent it from being corrupted or used carelessly."

"That part, I can understand perfectly."

"The Temple is very open-minded, though. I actually like this bunch a lot. They do not forbid their disciples form branching out and finding their own path...However if these clans want to pass down their knowledge, they still have to send their heirs to learn from the Temple. Isn't it fascinating?"

"Did you learn this in the palace too?"

"I always wondered about it...ever since I learned I was a Conduit. But I was never allowed to practice. Kids would usually be trained at a young age if they were."

"The mistresses never talked of such things to me..." I sighed. "I know what they wanted for me. If possible, I'd just have grown up and done something different. But I ended up taking this path still. Talk about inevitable."

"Well, they taught you other things. I don't think they were expecting things to turn out this way either. They probably didn't want you to be in such a troublesome circle."

"They did say that as well, but them teaching it to me would've been nice. I just feel like they tried to shelter me too much."

"Ah, well...I can't speak for anyone, but, like I always say—you know how adults are. They always try and do their best but it's not enough sometimes. Life is stuff."

"Is stuff?" Did I hear that right?

"Yeah, it is stuff."

"No. It is tough?"

"Yeah! It is stuff! What did you think it was?"

"Eren, you're not saying your Lovardi right."

"What is it supposed to be?"