Chapter 69 ❆ Plan B

The cold energy inside the woman was chaotic. As though alive, it squirmed and resisted my calls. Considering the inherently chaotic nature that was death, it would probably be better to describe this as volatile—disturbed. But while the dissipating Life energy in the room had something to do with its rather intense activity, it should only be a small part of the problem.

As I continued tugging at the energy from inside her, I promptly realized I was only making the situation worse. Not only was I not doing anything helpful, I felt the energy becoming more turbulent with my interference. Instead of helping her, I was probably killing this woman faster.

But who could verify what exactly I was doing? Amber had probably taken off to dreamland by now. It was already surprising enough that he was able to hold a conversation with me in broad daylight.

No longer feeling confident about my attempt, I decided to withdraw. This was an actual person's life, after all. I could not simply insist on my theories and risk killing someone. Just because death was my element, it didn't entitle me to granting it to whoever at will.

But it didn't change the fact that I had to do something that could curb the rising energies, at least. The doctor tried various means, trying to stabilize her condition, but none of the physical therapies were working.

So I spoke, "The energy's all messed up."

They looked at me.

"What?"

I hastily searched for the right words. "The energy's all messed up. I-it's probably not a physical thing."

The doctor gazed at me for a moment. "Ah...could it be the life energy?"

It was, but I shouldn't act like I knew the situation too well. "Probably."

The doctor retrieved something from his leather satchel—a small bath-bomb-looking object. He then threw it against a wall, causing white smoke to billow out. The energies in the room were far less volatile—almost like a neutralizing agent had dispersed in the air.

"This disperser should scatter the energies," the doctor said, then turned to Kaiser's mother anxiously. He walked over to monitor her condition.

With the chaos in the room scattering from the disperser, the woman showed observable improvement within the next few seconds. Her skin turned less grayish, although the complexion remained bleak and corpse-like.

Everyone was finally able to breathe a sigh of relief.

Kaiser gazed at me gratefully. Now that his mother had stopped trashing about, we were finally able to let go. I silently retreated to my corner in the room, watching the scene from the side.

"I'm sorry you had to see that..." Kaiser began.

I shook my head. "It's alright. As long as your mother's fine."

"So how is it?" Herrin inquired, as he loosened his grip over his sister's waist.

"I don't know what went wrong...it's probably best if I stay until tomorrow to monitor the patient's condition. I'll also need time to reevaluate her condition. I may have this diagnosis wrong..." the doctor trailed off.

"Come with me, Evyionne," Kaiser told me. "I think we best leave for now." He approached Illuna to repeat what he said to me, then came over to his father. "Dad, I'll lead our guests out."

"Go on and do that." Pier clapped his son's shoulders with a sigh. "I'll stay with your mother for now."

"Okay."

We left the room. I cast one last glance at Kaiser's mother and was once again confronted with the choice of helping her or not. Clearly, earlier I tried. However, it didn't do so much help and I only ended up aggravating her condition instead.