05 | the penthouse nearly gets them killed

The car ride was mostly silent, Eleanor drifted back to sleep and Dick drove. She did make him swap over when she had awoken, saying he needed to catch an hour or so at least. They proceeded to swap every hour — despite Dick saying he was fine.

When they pulled up outside the house, Eleanor was in awe of the place. It was big and it was beautiful, but she got over it as they walked in, seeing an old lady trim a tiny tree — a bonsai tree

Dick guided them to the elevator and pressed the button.

Eleanor leaned her back against the wall, her hands shoved into her leather pockets. "It's good seeing you again." She commented, a genuine smile on her face.

"It's good to see you too, kid." Dick smiled at the teenager, patting the girl on the shoulder.

Eleanor shook her head and stepped over to him, wrapping her arms around him, keeping a tight grip on the man. Dick wrapped his arms around her and held her.

"Butterscotch?"

The two parted, turning to see the old lady staring at them. She pulled out two butterscotches and held them up.

Eleanor shifted away, leaning against the wall once again.

"Thank you," Dick said, taking the sweet from the old lady.

"You're very welcome, dear."

"Stranger danger, sorry." Eleanor shrugged.

The woman still held it. Eleanor leaned forward and plucked it from the woman's fingers and put it in Dick's pocket.

They watched the woman leave with confused looks.

Eleanor pulled her phone from her pocket to check the time. She unlocked her phone and went on to Snapchat, finding a notification from Gar. She opened it to see a picture of him grinning and saying good morning.

She mimicked the photo, sending back the same caption before pocketing her phone.

It took a while, but finally, the doors opened and the two stepped into the elevator to go up and question someone. Or rather, Dick was going to question and talk and Eleanor was back up and company.

The elevator wasn't all that quick, it was more on the slow side and it was all glass, making Eleanor have to cautiously tap it multiple times to check it was still there and she wouldn't fall — or watch Dick fall and die.

They stepped out and followed the sound of noises, finding a middle-aged man pouring himself a drink.

"Detective Grayson, Miss Shelby."

"Are you Mr Adamson?"

"Dr Adamson. Are you hungry? I've got something on the stove." He questioned, pointing at the food.

Eleanor and Dick looked at the crêpes that was cooking, amongst the food that was left on the counters.

"You're not vegetarians, are you? I do prefer an animal-based protein."

"Can I have some strawberries?" Eleanor asked, pointing at the bowl of fresh-looking fruit. She hadn't eaten since her quarter of pizza and the handful of chips she had last night.

"Help yourself." The man said.

Eleanor was quick to pick up the black bowl, cradling it in her arm. She offered one to Dick — to be polite, not because she wanted to share.

Dick shook his head at the teenager. "Who are you people, and what do you want with Rachel?"

"As much as I'd love to have a lengthy conversation with you about Rachel Roth, Detective, I'm afraid there's no time."