08 | the reunion

When the two returned to lonely Jason Todd they found him staring at a paining. "Who's this?"

"Niccolo Machiavelli." Dick answered, his hands buried in his jean pockets.

"Oh, yeah." The boy spoke, turning back to the two. "Bruce has talked about that dude. Sounds like a total savage."

"'If an injury has to be done to a man, it should be so severe that his vengeance need not to be feared. Severities should be dealt out all at once, so that's their suddenness mag give less offence. Benefits ought to be handed out drop by drop, so they may be relished the more.'"

Jason and Eleanor met eyes, both unsure what to say after Dick's trance like state and far to long quote.

"I forget Bruce is totally just an emo with an angsty hero complex and an army of children." Eleanor spoked, rocking on her heels. She was totally regretting wearing (practically new) heeled boots for dinner, but she hadn't expected this to all happen — but at least they'll be broken in by the time this all finishes. 

Jason nodded at the two. "You know, I used to read about you as a kid." So he decided to change the subject, finding that he could not outwit Dick on some random guys quotes. "Bruce has told me tons of awesome stories about you."

"I bet he has."

"I know it's none of my business but he never said why you quit."

"I guess I just couldn't cut it."

"Totally believable." Eleanor commented, sarcastically nodding at him. Dick went to slap the back of her head, but the girl let out a small squeal and ducked, elbowing him hard in the ribs. "Stop abusing me."

"No, it's funny."

"Wow, great law abiding detective, you are." She pointed out adjusting her dress. She didn't like that she didn't have a top underneath because it had blood on it, it made her heel more exposed then she was. She use to wear dresses with out tops, but over time found that she liked how a lot of them looked layered over a top.

"Are you thirsty? I'm gonna go check out the brew sitch." Jason asked them, as he strode past the two.

"What?"

"The beer situation."

"I want a lemonade, if he has any."

"On it."

"Thanks, Jason." She called out as he disappeared. Dick raised a brow at the teenage girl, his arms crossed. "What?"

"Thanks, Jason." He mimicked her polite tone.

"I'm being nice, you should try it." She told him, patting his arm before appearing on the couch. She pulled off her heeled boots and moved her feet and ankles to relieve tension.

"You're not nice to me."

"Yeah, but I don't like you."

"I'm going to check on our guy."

"Have fun, dickhead."

Dick pulled a face at her before leaving her alone.

Eleanor pulled out her phone, keeping her self occupied with a bright screen. She used anything to keep her mind from wondering to it's darker thoughts.

She suspected Dick wasn't just checking in, but rather getting rid of or at least searching for the tracker in his body.

She opened texts from Gar, questioning where she was. To which she simply answered with 'chicago x'. Eleanor wasn't one for capital letters or punctuation in her texts. For the most part they were as few words as possible.