09 | the ugly truth of being her (tw)

"The place is called Corvo. It's some kind of speakeasy. Landlord said he bounces the late shift." Dick explained to the two as they got out of the car.

Eleanor had left her jacket at the building they were borrowing leading to her having to carry her phone in her hand with her fake ID and bank card tucked between the phone and case.

"That's too bad. Bouncers are assholes."

"So not true, if you're nice they're nice." Eleanor disagreed looking at the teenage boy next to her. He turned to look at her, disagreement on his face.

"Clay's not bad. And how would you know, anyway?" Dick asked looking over at the two.

"Uncle Ray would take me to bars with him all the time when I was little. Everyone thought it was cute, until it wasn't. He was a fun drunk, then he'd get stupid, then he'd stay throwing punches. Then the bouncers would kick our assess out."

"I mean zero offence when I say this, but if you're uncle is causing a scene they have to kick him out. Technically they shouldn't of let him in with you." Eleanor spoke, her voice low as she wrapped her arms around her waist. She really should have warn her jacket.

"Where were your folks?"

"Mum was upstate, dad was downstate. Uncle Ray was the man until he OD'd when I was thirteen."

"Where'd you go?"

"Wherever. Foster care. In and out if the system, then the streets mostly after that." Dick and Eleanor gave the boy walking between them emphatic looks. He chuckled. "It's not all bad, I survived."

"Life and death isn't a measurement of how bad or good something is."

"Well, look, Princess—"

Eleanor shivered uncomfortable at the word, her uncles voice echoing around her fragile mind. "Don't call me that, please."

"Sorry. Look, we're living the dream."

Eleanor shrugged as Dick knocked on a door. The bouncer slid across a thing, meeting eyes with Dick whilst the other two stood side by side slightly behind.

Dick pulled out his cop badge. "Clay Williams working tonight?"

"VIP lounge."

"Okay."

The bouncer opened the door and let Dick in. Jason and Eleanor were stopped. Jason handed the man his fake ID.

"There a problem?"

"Robert Plissken? Nice try."

"Come on, man. Be cool."

"Not tonight, Snake."

"I'm nineteen!

The bouncer turned to Eleanor. She flashed him a sweet smile. She slipped her case off her phone and grabbed her fake ID, placing her thumb over her her bank card to make sure it didn't slide away and that he wouldn't see 'Shelby' written on it.

She handed over her ID, putting her phone case on.

"Eleanor Rigby?" The man asked, trying to work out why the name was so familiar.

"That's my name." She smiled sweetly, touching some of her hair behind her ear.

"I've heard that name."

"Oh? Well, I was in a scandal a few years ago. My boyfriend, Tim McGraw, at the time had been declared missing, I was like main suspect, until he returned home a few months later, of course. Get this, turns out he was sleeping with Billie Jean and my friend Nancy Mulligan. My cousin, Grace Kelly, she found out and told me everything. Wished he'd gone missing for good when I found out."